Windows 8 keeps crashing with a blue screen when connected to the main power supply.

I recently installed windows 8 from my MSDN account on my Samsung laptop model NP R580 JT01IN. All functions work when i am using it on the battery or is plugged in before hand. If i plugin in the power while windows is running the laptop shows the blue screen with a message of system thread exception stating that something unexpected happened and we are restarting. Windows restarts after sometime after collecting some data presumably since it restarts after it reaches 100%.  This same situation arises if I press the function keys like volume increase/brightness increase etc on the keyboard but not when doing it in windows. 

Original title :Windows 8 keeps restarting when power is plugged in or i change brightness/volume etc from my keyboard shortcuts.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2018 Views 3,794 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Gary Thomas George,

Thank you for posting your query in the Microsoft Community. It seems that you have an issue with Windows 8 crashing frequently on plugging it to the main power socket. We can get this issue fixed by proceeding systematically. It might be frustrating for you. But, rest assured we are here to help you.

Let us start with a few questions-

1)      What is the complete error message or error code (blue screen)?

2)      Have you made any hardware or software changes on the computer prior to the issue?

I would like more information regarding the issue.

Method 1-

I would have you disconnect all the external devices connected to the computer and then try connecting it to the main power socket.

Method 2-

Step 1-

I would have you boot into Safe Mode and check if the issue persists over there.

Refer the steps-

a) Click on the “Windows+R” key simultaneously and type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and hit “Enter”.

b) Now, select the “boot” tab and check the box next to “Safe Boot”.

c) Also place a dot next to “Network”.

d) Check if the issue persists in Safe Mode.

e) You need to undo all the changes made earlier and get the computer back to Normal Startup.

Proceed to Step 2 if the issue does not occur in Safe Mode.

Step 2-

I would have you place the computer in a Clean Boot state. A Clean Boot state helps us identify conflicting applications (third party programs) interfering with functioning of the application.

Refer the steps for the same-

Step 1-

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck the ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then uncheck the box next to “Load startup items”.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, check the box next to ‘Hide all Microsoft service’, and then select ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under the “startup tab”, right click on each startup item that are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then check the box next to ‘Hide all Microsoft service’.

c. Select half of the check boxes in the “Services” list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, uncheck half of the check boxes selected earlier.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, check the remaining boxes. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and the issue persists then, that service would be causing the issue. Go to step 6. Proceed to step 4 if, the issue persists.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If none of the services are causing the problem, then it is most likely that the startup items are causing the issue.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

The method of identifying a faulty startup item is similar to identifying a faulty service. The only difference being that the, “Hide all Microsoft Services” box should not be checked.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

Once the culprit has been identified then, you either contact the manufacturer of the service or try to resolve the issue on your own. If none of the two methods work then, you may uncheck the box next to the faulty service or the startup item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished with the troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Select the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3-

I would have you download and install the latest firmware updates for the computer.

You may take the assistance of the manufacturer for the same.

Refer the link-

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/model/NP-R580-JT01IN-downloads

Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have exactly the same problem on my Dell N7010 Inspiron running W8-RP-8400. The usual error message that shows up when rebooting is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. but occassionally it reports a page fault or accessing a non data area (not sure of these, but something similar) The system thread exception error comes up every time I boot even if I think I shutdown correctly. Once I saw a boot as far as the splash screen then the exception came up and the machine rebooted.

I followed Nirmal's steps. The error didn't occur in safe mode so I continued to disable all non-MS services and all 3rd party startups for a clean boot.

With a clean boot the problems still occur. i.e. W8 crashes when changing screen brightness with the function keys or removing/inserting power cable.

I upgraded the system BIOS and everything that is available for upgrade on my system from Dell.

The problems still occur.

What next?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Sorry for the late reply. I tried out your mentioned steps. The problem doesn't occur in safe mode but when I restarted after disabling the services the problem still occurs. I also contacted Samsung in the meanwhile who also suggested me to do a firmware upgrade but the model doesn't have any new updates for windows 8.

What should be done next? 

Sorry this didn't help.

And just to confirm that I still have this problem too with my Dell.
To reiterate:
1) Windows crashes when I adjust the screen brightness using the function keys.
2) Windows crashes when plugging in the power cable while the computer is runnning. It does not crash when removing the cable.
3) I get the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error early on in every cold boot. There is a process name shown in parenthesis but it is too small and too fuzzy to be read. Once the error page has been shown. Windows recovers and the computer reboots normally and continues to work unless I do 1) or 2). I keep sending the error reports but for all I know they disappear into a black hole over Seattle.

Sorry this didn't help.

Most of my issues are also similar although it doesn't restart on cold boot. I have my restart in power plugin and plugout also. The error messages are fuzzy and small to read. 
You had asked in the reply whether I had made any hardware software changes before install. No I installed it over my existing windows 7 installation only. This created a folder called windows.old and the new windows 8 folders. 
Kindly advice. 

And just to confirm that I still have this problem too with my Dell.
To reiterate:
1) Windows crashes when I adjust the screen brightness using the function keys.
2) Windows crashes when plugging in the power cable while the computer is runnning. It does not crash when removing the cable.
3) I get the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error early on in every cold boot. There is a process name shown in parenthesis but it is too small and too fuzzy to be read. Once the error page has been shown. Windows recovers and the computer reboots normally and continues to work unless I do 1) or 2). I keep sending the error reports but for all I know they disappear into a black hole over Seattle.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue it seems. Anytime the screen brightness changes I get a BSOD.

- going from battery to AC/Power (either direction)
- manually dimming the screen

I updated to Windows 8 about 2 months ago. The problem didn't occur before this. I have a Dell Inspiron 17 N7110.

I have checked for the latest video drivers and it seems that I have the latest.

According to the Dell site, I also have the latest BIOS.

Please advise on what is the most likely reason for this issue so I can concentrate my efforts.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm pleased to say that I no longer get this problem. I've no idea why not. I'm not aware of any changes made in configuration or software.  Maybe a Windows upgrade behind the scenes?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for keeping us posted and sharing this information with us.

Feel free to contact the Microsoft Community for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. When I plug or unplug main power, windows 8 crash and reboot with blue screen. Tried all above suggested solution. None of them is solving the problem. I am using Dell N4010 laptop.

Sorry this didn't help.

These problems no longer occur for me since I upgraded from the trial/preview version (or whatever it was called) to the full version. I did notice that at the end of the trial, when W8 started rebooting every x hours as a subtle reminder to buy, that the symptoms were extremely similar. So I had assumed this was some unhappy side-effect of the crippling process? That wouldn't explain why people are still having the problem, but may be useful for your investigations, if any.

Sorry this didn't help.