Windows 8 freezes when Automatic Maintenance starts

My Dell Latitude E6510 (Windows 8 Enterprise) has started freezing when Automatic Maintenance starts (after it has been idle for a few minutes). A black clock appears on the taskbar so I know the Maintenance is running. I have to power off and on to stop the freeze which is a real nuisance.

What might be causing this problem and how can I fix it? How can I disable the Automatic Maintenance until I've fixed the problem? I followed the instructions on the webpage below but the Maintenance turned itself back on again after a reboot:

http://superuser.com/questions/497500/disable-automatic-maintenance-in-windows-8

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2019 Views 5,603 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MJones,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community Forums. We are here to assist you with all your Windows related issues and queries.

As per the given issue description, Dell Latitude E6510 with Windows 8 Enterprise Edition freezes when the Automatic Maintenance starts on the computer.

Does this issue happen only when the Automatic Maintenance takes place in the computer?

The Automatic Maintenance normally runs at a time when the computer is idle. When it finds that the computer is in use at a time scheduled for the automatic maintenance, then it does not start automatically and instead it waits for the next time when the computer is idle.

If you are using any third party security program, then try temporarily disabling the security program and check if that helps.

Method 1: Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any)

If you have installed a third party security program, then I request you to contact its technical support to temporarily disable the program and then check the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, then check if the computer is infected by any malicious program. For this, we can run the Microsoft Safety Scanner and check.

Method 2: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner and check if there are any infections in the computer.

I would also suggest you to check if the computer is infected by any malicious software. For this let’s try running the Microsoft Safety Scanner and then check the issue. You can download and run the Safety Scanner from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: When running a scan using an Anti Virus program, any data files that are infected may be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Let’s also run an SFC Scan in the computer to check if the issue is caused by any damaged or corrupted system files.

Method 3: SFC Scan

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

a.        Press “Windows Logo” + “X”

b.       Select  “Command Prompt (Admin)”

c.        At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press

d.       sfc /scannow

e.       Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the scan.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

You may also refer this link for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848037(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this is helpful. Please feel free to get back to us if this issue persists or if you have any further queries or issues related to Windows.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have exactly the same problem as described by mjones. This issue started to occur a couple of days ago (23 July 2013) after the last Windows Update.  The only way I can get back to my work is by restarting the PC as the system is unresponsive, but as soon as the maintenance process starts (which could happen while I am reading a document and the system thinks I am doing "nothing") I lose all my unsaved work.

I don't have a third party anti-virus, and I followed the two methods you described, but nothing was found with this verifications. 

If you (or anyone reading this) have other advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to add my Dell Vostro 3560 running Windows 8 Pro (Brazilian Portuguese) to the list. It shows exactly the same behaviour of embills1 and mjones_ systems. The computer is relatively new (3 weeks) so I just can't tell if the problem came pre-installed or emerged from an Windows Update. This means, also, that I have experienced just a few locks (4 of them) and, then, have not tried every alternative to bring the system back.

I provide additional hints on the ocurrence below:

-system appear to be responsive on the first two or three actions. Upon noticing that nothing happens I look for the black clock overlay on the "problems flag" and try to click or right-click the icon to see if it shows some hint of the ongoing maintenance task, with no avail.
-mouse is responsive on some of the following clicks (hover on a tray icon may show hint, hightlight close box on top right of some programs, for example). After that, every program that has been "tried" shows the "wait cursor" as if it was in "not responding" state.
-the classic Ctrl+Alt+Del action does nothing
-event viewer shows only an entry stating that the last shut down was unexpected

Has anyone found an answer to this problem? I would gladly turn off scheduled maintenance but I really don't like the "final solution" before even know the name of my enemy.

MG

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue!  Started July 22, 2013 after windows update!  hp laptop

Sorry this didn't help.

It's getting relatively crowded, here. Let's try to find similarities...

-I'm used to let my computer on all day (sometimes all night too) for remote access. 

-I always hibernate. I only reboot when windows update or a software install requires (or when the damn maintenance task freezes my compyter).

-My Dell came with McAfee pre installed. I don't like these heavy anti virus suites but I decided to live with it for a while to feel the impact of it on a new hardware and check if it would be, per chance, lighter then expected.

-I made the first windows update just after de first run (06/27). Then on july 4, 6 and 21st. I just cannot recall when the first freezing ocurrence happened but I think it was after the second Windows Update (07/04).

Do we share some of these specs?

Best regards,

Marcelo 

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have an anti-virus software on my machine. But the problem is manifesting the same way: automated maintenance process causes freezing once it starts. Marcello Gallaci described perfectly the behaviour.

I have a Dell and I am running Windows 8.

My problems started after I installed the latest Windows Update on 23rd July.  I have never had this issue before and I did not install any software during this time.

It seems all cases reported here are similar, pointing to a Windows Update issue.

Hopefully someone from Microsoft can look into this and respond.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, Microsoft! Hey, Most Valuable Professionals!

We're not just a few. We're turning into a crowd and it is growing! Occupy Microsoft!

Have you heard about the massive Brazil protests? Take care...

Sorry this didn't help.

I power down nightly and do frequent virus checks.  The problems definitely started after a Windows Update.  I don't expect anything from Microsoft until this becomes a major thread :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I also thought that Microsoft update was at fault until I had enough and did a fresh install.

With only a new copy of Windows, automatic maintenance started and after a few seconds it froze my system as per usual.

I also noticed that automatic maintenance checked my external hard drives and as soon it started with my external sata drive the system would freeze. So I installed the sata driver from the manufacturer rather than MS' own and bingo, all is good with the world again!

Hope this helps someone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting.

My Vostro came with a SSD disk along with the hard drive. Would it be comparable to your external sata drive? Do you have those Intel applications (Rapid, Start, Turbo Boost, etc.)?

I will make some tests with these in mind.

Best regards,

Marcelo Gallacci

Sorry this didn't help.