Windows 8 File History backup creates duplicates

I have run the Windows 8 file history since I installed W8 last October and each time I run it I get another duplicate set of documents, photos, video's, everything. After I accumulate 5-6 copies that amount to 45gb of space on my extended hard drive I delete the file history file and start over.

I'm using Windows 8 on a laptop and therefore do not have the HDD connected all the time. I run backups occasionally and whenever I run it all files are duplicated over and over again. By running it occasionally I mean sometimes daily, sometimes weekly. I've made all sorts of modifications but nothing works.

This is not a new problem and there are several complaints to Microsoft regarding people with this problem so I thought I'd ask the question on this forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/14cedd95-b3b0-4830-be00-da793dda9e27/

My main question is, is there a different backup / restore application that will work besides the W8 File History? Does the old backup from Windows 7 still work?

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2019 Views 10,503 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for the post on it.

It looks that you have duplicate of files and documents as you have performed multiple number of File Transfer feature on your Windows 8 laptop. Therefore you would like to know another way to back up your file as it is in Window 7.

I am afraid to inform you that there is no other option in Windows 8 other than File Transfer. However you can remove the duplicate file and documents. Perform the following steps to Change the settings.

a) Press Windows Key and X Key.
b) Select Control Panel. Click on View All.
c) Click on File Transfer. Click on Advance settings.
d) Select the desired option from Keep saved Versions from the drop down menu.

You can clean up or delete the previous version as well. On the same page as mentioned above click on Clean up Versions. Select the appropriate option and delete the rest.

Refer the link given here for further assistance:

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

I hope this resolves your issue, please write to us if you have any other Microsoft issue related to Windows operating system.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply but I'm well aware of how to open and run file history. I run it frequently and it copies everything that it's supposed to copy. However there is a flaw in it that keeps duplicating files that have not changed and each time I run File History I get a duplicate file created.

For example I have about 4000 photos on my laptop and File History has 20000 photos because I ran File History 5 times and now I have 5 copies of each photo. To me that suggests that there is some sort of error somewhere.

I included in my initial question a link where many, many people are having the same issue so I am not the only person with the problem.

Since File History doesn't work for me I'll have to locate a non-Microsoft backup application that works, if one exists.

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with me, multiple copies of identical unchanged files and backup disk full.
I've read the other thread as well, it is a big problem that needs to be fixed soon!
Major Windows 8 Pro (with Media Center) bug!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.  My backup storage is now running about 5 times the size of the files to be backed up.  File history keeps creating multiple backups of files that have not changed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft: I have seen this issue being discussed all over different forums, but so far no answers on the duplicate photos, etc.
Are you ignoring thousands (millions?) of users that want a simple explanation?
Is your tech team working on a fix for this? I have File History TURNED OFF for this specific reason and am running Windows 7 File Recovery instead.
 My mother has had the unfortunate experience that she now has 5 or 6 copies of every picture on her hard drive- and other documents as well. 
Until we can figure this out, she went out yesterday and purchased a 2 TB external- so your wonderful $39.oo upgrade to Windows 8 PRO has now cost her another $150.00. Sheesh.
Take some initiative and get us some answers, PLEASE!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar problem...

I had a 6 terabyte backup drive that I thought would last me quite a while...for file history...but it turns out file history is re-saving multiple versions of files that I have not touched or looked at in a long time...

Please Microsoft...the concept of file history is a good one...and I have used it to restore a couple of files to previous versions...but as it is right now I had to turn it off as my 6 terabyte NAS box was constantly being written too by file history...In a span of two months I have gone through 5.4 terabytes of backup space....mainly because of this bug with file history...

Please fix this...

Michael!

Sorry this didn't help.

Duplicate files are generated by the task File History (maintenance mode) which can be disabled in the Task Scheduler under FileHistory.  Unless this task is disabled, it is run by the Action Center task Automatic Maintenance and duplicates all files in the Music, Pictures, and Video folders to your File History drive.

For more details, see my Proposed Fix 2 (BlueDragon48) in thread

Windows 8 File History - Excessive backup - Excessively saving copies of files (photos, videos, documents, etc.)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/14cedd95-b3b0-4830-be00-da793dda9e27/

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much....for taking the time in the other forum for created such a detailed explanation of your proposed fix....

As I said in the other forum...I will give your proposed fixes (both 1 and 2) a try and report back....

Thanks,

Michael!

Sorry this didn't help.

Duplicate files are generated by the task File History (maintenance mode)

I just ran maintenance... yep, It duplicated pics,   but not all.  So strange.
~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Sorry this didn't help.

It duplicated pics,   but not all.  So strange.  

Thanks for reporting back.

In my case, all the pictures are many months or even years old. Though I did not check super carefully in every subdirectory,  for those I checked every picture was duplicated.   Perhaps if there is greater variation in file dates, maybe newer ones that have recently been backed up are not duplicated (?). Just a guess that Maintenance tries to establish some kind of safe daily baseline state which quickly becomes a storage hog if not purged.  In any case, I agree it is so strange.  Microsoft needs to fix this bizarreness or explain their intent. 

With File History (maintenance mode) disabled, I've been running hourly File History backups all day from two networked machines to a single external drive hanging off one of them.  No duplicates and it should be impossible for Maintenance to interfere.  Now switched to 6 hour intervals.

BTW,  Control Panel > File History > Files last copied on date/time is often incorrect with respect to scheduled runs, while time stamps on the actual File History data files are accurate. To check activity I created a Custom View in Event Viewer, filtering to see all events for sources FileHistory-Core and FileHistory-Engine.

Sorry this didn't help.