Windows 8 File Explorer crashes whenever I right click on the USB key.

Windows 8 File Explorer crashes whenever I right click on -any- installed USB or flash key, and try to pick an options, such as properties, rename or format.  File Explorer crashes, closes down, and I am sent back to the Start Page.  This happens with any USB key, on any of the ports on my computer, of which I have at least 10.

I can left click on USB in the file explorer, and an still able to open or interact with any file held within the USB key. I can save to the USB from any other program, and I can eject it normally from the task bar. The only problem is I cannot right click on the USB key and select a function without being kicked back to the start page and the File Explorer restarting. 

My version of Windows 8 is an upgrade from Windows 7.  I have already attempted a safe reboot, and even in this state the crash continues.
|
Answer
Answer
I had the same problem with any USB stick/flash/drive on my Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) system. I started out of the blue, I hadn't installed any new software or updates. I couId right click on the drive and get the menu, but any action in the menu I chose shut down and restarted Windows Explorer (without any error message.) I also tried the cleanboot approach with no luck.

The solution that worked was to move the mouse cursor to lower left corner of the screen and rightclick.
Select Command Prompt (Admin)
in the cmd window enter:
sfc /scannow
and press enter.
After about 15 minutes (about 4 minutes to verify and then just over 11 minutes of waiting while it worked in the background - though it seemed frozen. My system is an i7, 16Gb Ram, 512Gb SSD drive - so your time will vary), I got a message that some corrupted files had been repaired and some had not. The log was in a txt file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS though the logfile was inaccessable. I got an Access Denied popup.
I restarted the system and everything was fine and the USB problem was corrected.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2020 Views 8,365 Applies to: