Windows 8 control panel stops responding every time.

Hello, my fellow Windows 8 sufferers! My old laptop imploded on itself a week ago and I was forced to purchase a new one - with Windows 8. I've had a lot of trouble with how messy it is, and had a lot of problems reinstalling my programs. Now it turns out I can't even allow an app to go through Windows Firewall because it freezes, stops working and shuts down. Every time. I tried changing a few other settings using CP and it shut down every time. Mind you, this is a brand new computer. I'm at a loss because I haven't installed any programs that should result in this, and it's getting frustrating.

Microsoft, perhaps you could release a Windows 8-II? You know, making it more user friendly and not trying to copy the iPhone navigation menus?
Answer
Answer

​Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community and we are glad to assist you on this issue.

As per the issues description, it seems like you are unable to allow an app to receive information through Windows Firewall as the computer hangs and stops responding.

I would like to gather few information on this issue to help you better:

1) How are you trying to allow the app trough the Firewall?
2) Have you installed any security software on the computer?

If you have installed any other security software, It could be causing this issue or some other application may also prevent the app through the firewall.

You can follow the methods:

Method 1:

Let’s check if you get the same issue when you boot the computer into safe mode.

You can follow the steps to boot the computer into safe mode and check if you get the same error:

Step 1:

Please refer to the link to boot the computer into safe mode:

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Step 2:

If you are not getting the issue in safe mode, then you may perform clean boot on the computer and check if any of the application on the computer is causing the issue.

Please follow the link below to perform clean boot:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to temporarily disable the security software and check if it helps.

Important Note: Security software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.
You can refer to the link for reference:

Follow the section "Allow an app to receive info through the firewall"

Note:
Before allowing an app to receive info through the firewall, make sure you understand the risks involved. Refer to the link:

"What are the risks of allowing apps through a firewall?"

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer of the computer for further assistance on this issue.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any more queries on performance related issues on Windows.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 816 Applies to: