Question

Windows 8 "Change PC Settings" Not working

AshleyB. asked on
I recently discovered that many of the Windows 8 apps I have on my new Asus laptop has gone missing such as the store icon. I was trying to locate the store icon because I know it was there when I first started using Windows 8 but I found out its not there any more about 2 days ago. I then tried to open "Change PC Settings" but It did not work. Everytime I click it, nothing will show up. 
So I'm very frustrated because I do not know what to do.
I tried to locate the windows store app and its no where.
I tried to click on Change PC Settings so I can do a system refresh and see if I bring it back to the point where I first got the laptop but still nothing.
Please help as soon as possible. I would really like a resolution on how to get it back to normal and hopefully without effecting all the files I have already on the computer.

242 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
ajeshdsouza replied on

Hi Ashley,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community and thank you for giving us a chance to assist you.
It can be very frustrating to not be able to use the computer properly. I see that the Store app is missing and you are unable to access the change PC settings menu.

Please answer these questions so I get a better understanding of the issue.

1. Do you get any error code or error message on startup?

2. Have you activated Windows 8?

3. Have any changes been made to the computer before this issue occured?

You can try these methods to check if the issue gets resolved.

Method 1: Run the app troubleshooter.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Open that link to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:Reset Store Cache and check
a. Press "Windows key + R".
b. Type "wsreset.exe" on Run the window and press enter.

Method 3:Check if the issue exists in clean boot.
Follow the steps here to troubleshoot the issue. Once you are in clean boot check if the
settings menu works and see if there is something that conflicts with it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once troubleshooting is done please follow "Step 3 :Reset the computer to
start as usual" on the article to boot the computer in normal mode.

Method 4:Run a System File Checker scan and check if that helps.
Refer to the following steps to run SFC scan.
a)Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.
b)Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.
c)In the command prompt type in the following command: ‘sfc /scannow’.

If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash. The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

Please get back to us if you need further assistance.

31 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress