windows 8 and command line show different drive letters

Hello all,

I have a new system with a 120Gb SSD drive (Boot Drive) and a 750Gb HDD Drive for Data. Evidently I had some trial software errors that caused a no boot condition. (Originally I thought it was a bad SSD drive, but now do not think so) Anyway, I tried a system refresh, but still had some program errors. I then tried to use an image I had created when the computer was brand new (2 weeks ago) from Acronis Trueimage... again errors with some apps.

So... I did a complete system reset. Here is what I found...

When viewing the computer through windows 8 file explorer, it shows the drives correctly. C: as the 120Gb SSD boot drive (Where Windows is installed) then D: which is my HDD, an empty 750Gb Data drive.

Here is where it gets odd... when I restart computer into command Line... the drives are switched!!

If I go to C: and run the command:
DISKPART 
list volume

it shows me an empty drive, no files or folders and size is my 750Gb HDD

If I change to D: and run the same commands ... I see my 120Gb SSD drive where windows is installed!

I was going to move my Users Directory onto the D: Drive (My data HDD) as I have done with other systems, but first I want the correct drive letters.  I attempted to do this on my prior reset. Which messed things up worse! - I was wondering... first has anyone else seen anything like this? Then... could I use this info to change the drive letters, and how will it effect Windows 8, since Windows shows the Drives as C: and D:?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223188

Any assistance is appreciated!

I've noticed that kind of thing too on win8.  So I always need to be careful removing or installing a drive by looking in Disk Management to make sure my C drive actually stays the Drive 0-zero.

It often will change to drive 1 when I reinstall a drive.

I recently tried sort of renaming the drive letters and back again in hopes it stays put..  time will tell.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I think the reason is mostly due to where the drives are plugged in...

The Bios determines the drive sequence by how they are connected...

Drive 0 (zero) would normally be drive C:\... regardless of what is on it...

Windows calls the drive\partition where the OS is located C:\, whether it is drive 0 (zero) or something else...

I had an older HP machine with XP Pro preinstalled at one time...

The Recovery Disks and Partition considered the OS partition D:\ and the Recovery Partition C:\...

After booting and looking in My Computer and\or Disk Management, they were reversed...

This issue most certainly cause problems in Win 8 when doing a Repair with the repair or installation disk, as it may fail because it was trying to basically repair the wrong drive\partition...

Sorry this didn't help.

I found an answer! At least a partial one anyway. I assumed when you went to command prompt via windows when the only account was an admin would be safe. Nope! You need to enter the command line as "Elevated" (i.e. an admin) - if you hit Windows Key + W you will see a list of options on lower left, you have Command Line, AND Command Line (As Admin)

Once I logged in with the As Admin version and ran the same commands... drives showed up properly.

Don't know... but I was able to do what I needed.  Hope this helps someone in the future!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm not sure why that would make a difference in the drive letter, but if it worked, that's great...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,738 Applies to: