Windows 8: after sleep mode no programs will open, nor can I shut down or restart.

I have had my Toshiba laptop, running Windows 8, for a month. In the last few days, after sleep mode I am able to move the cursor but no programs will open. I am not able to shut down or restart. I have to turn it off and on at the power button to get it going again. I have tried system restore but no joy. I don't expect such issues with a brand new machine!
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums.

From the description that you have posted, you are facing an issue access the programs after the laptop wake up from the sleep mode.

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)     Have you made any changes to the hardware or software on the computer prior to the issue?

2)       Do you get any error message / code?

Follow the steps and check,

Method 1: Run the power troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

a)      Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b)      Type Troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

c)       Click system and security and run the power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Update the latest chipset drivers from the manufacturer’s website. If Windows 8 drivers are not available, you can install Windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode. Follow these steps:

a)      Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b)      Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.

c)       Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.

d)      Select the drivers and install.

Method 3: Change the “Power plans” settings.

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings (like display, sleep, etc.) that manages how your PC uses power. The power plans you can use depend on the kind of PC you have.

Click on the below given link to “Power plans: Frequently asked questions”.

Note: Refer to the section that says “How do I choose a different power plan?”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Also I would suggest you to update BIOS, to update BIOS you need to get in touch with the system manufacturer.

BIOS Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk

This information should help you. If you need further assistance regarding Windows, please let us know we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 904 Applies to: