Windows 8 Action Center Notification Area Flickering

So I bought and installed Windows 8 and the Pro pack. Had no issues that I noticed. Was able to share with my Windows 7 loaded laptop (soon to be windows 8). I signed up for the free Media Center update and ever since I did. The action center icon in the notification area flickers really fast and you quickly see the balloon. But flickers so quick I can not read what it says.

So I opened the Action center. It says No issues have been detected and went through each option just to make sure. Nothing there but when I have the action center open it flickers the same time that the notification icon flickers. It is quite annoying as I can't stop from noticing it. I am thinking about uninstalling Media Center (which sucks) but I wanted to see what the Microsoft folks think before I do and/or if they want any information or updates as I proceed.

Also I could not post this question in IE 10 in windows 8 I had to use IE 9 in win 7 to post it as the submit button in IE10 was greyed out and after selecting that this quesiton was directed towards Windows nothing popped up to select which windows version. (Probably a script error or something)

Answer
Answer

I think I figured it out. I went through and unchecked everything that the action center displays notifications to and enabled each one until I noticed the flickering again. Previously I just unchecked one to see if I had the flicker.

Two options caused the action center to flicker:

1. Spyware and unwanted software protection

2. Virus protection

Which both options are tied to my antivirus protection.

I currently have ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 (which I just updated to version 5.2.9.1) my license is valid until 3/25/2013. Once I disabled these two options the flickering has seems to have stopped. I manually check my antivirus status and it is setup inside its own software to detect unwanted programs, webpages and spyware and to update virus definitions, so this isn't an issue for me, but it might be for others that aren't savvy enough to keep up on their protection.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2019 Views 6,329 Applies to: