Window 8 locks up - Disk shows 100% in Task Manager, but nothing is running

I installed Win8 last November and all was good for a few months.  Recently my system locks up at random times.  Sometimes shortly after boot, sometimes after 30-45 minutes of usage, but it always happens sooner or later.  I thought it might have been related to Norton, but pulled that all of the my machine and it still happens.  Symptoms:

- Applications start showing 'Not Responding', but eventually come back - extremely slowly

- In Task Manager Disk 0 shows as 100% active

- The hard drive activity light on the laptop does not flash - as if there is not really activity with the drive

- Disk does not show flat-lined in the Resource Monitor like it does in the Task Manager

I've tried all the performance options and CHKDSK - found no errors.  My only way out is to hold the power switch and fire it up again.  System Specs:

HP Pavilion DV6000

Win 8 Pro w/Media Center (32 Bit)

AMD Turion 64 X2  1.8Ghz

2GB Memory

C Drive - 150GB with over 50% available - Toshiba SCSI Drive

|

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

From the description I understand that you are facing an issue with in Task Manager the Disk shows 100% usage.

It could be due to the some software conflict or Security Software. I would suggest you to follow the steps and check.

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following question:

Have you made any changes to the hardware or software prior to the issue?

Follow the steps and check,

Method 1: I would suggest you to boot the computer in safe made and check,

Step 1: Safe Mode

Boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.

Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Note: Restart the computer to start in normal mode.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start to normal startup.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)       On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 2: Run a full scan using MSS (Microsoft Safety Scanner) to make sure that the Computer is virus free.

A fast way to check for viruses is to use an online scanner, such as the Microsoft Safety Scanner. The scanner is a free online service that helps you identify and remove viruses, clean up your hard disk, and generally improve your computer's performance.

To run the Microsoft Safety Scanner:

a)      Go to the Microsoft Safety Scanner webpage to download the scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

b)      Click Download Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

I would also suggest you to send us the MiniDump files using Skydrive.

Note: A memory dump file records the smallest set of useful information that may help identify why your computer has stopped unexpectedly resulting the issue.

I would suggest you to send us the MiniDump files so that it becomes easier to identify the reason behind this issue.

But, before moving to the steps on how to collect the MiniDump files, please make sure that MiniDump are enabled on the computer.

You can follow the steps:

Step 1:

To ensure MiniDump are enabled:

a)      Go to Start Screen, type 'sysdm.cpl' and press Enter.

b)      Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button.

c)       Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.

d)      Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).

e)      Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as "%systemroot%\Minidump".

f)       Click on OK.

g)      Reboot the computer if changes have been made.

Step 2:

Please follow the steps to copy the contents of MiniDump files:

a)      Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.

b)      Zip up the copy.

c)       Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.

d)      Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive and put a link to them in your reply.

You can refer to the link to know how to send us the MiniDump files using Skydrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Refer to the link,

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

This information should help you. If you need further assistance regarding Windows, please let us know we will be happy to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've tried the suggestions listed above with minimal impact -

- When booting in 'safe mode' the3 issue did not happen over the course of about 2 hours of using the system.  However, when I open task manager in 'safe mode' the disk monitor does not show up.

- When I did a 'clean boot' the issue happened as it normally does - this time around 20 minutes after the boot

- I downloaded and ran the safety scanner and nothing was found.  I was only able to fully complete the quick scan.  When I tried the full scan the system crashed somewhere around 600,000 files checked.

- When I rebooted the system back to normal, the issue came back as it normally does.

I have not done anything yet related to capturing a mini-dump.  Does the point in time at which I capture it matter?  Meaning, does it need to be captured at the time the machine is in it's massive slow-down?  Or is it automatically captured if I have to go to holding the power switch to reboot?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried the suggestions listed above with minimal impact -

- When booting in 'safe mode' the3 issue did not happen over the course of about 2 hours of using the system.  However, when I open task manager in 'safe mode' the disk monitor does not show up.

- When I did a 'clean boot' the issue happened as it normally does - this time around 20 minutes after the boot

- I downloaded and ran the safety scanner and nothing was found.  I was only able to fully complete the quick scan.  When I tried the full scan the system crashed somewhere around 600,000 files checked.

- When I rebooted the system back to normal, the issue came back as it normally does.

I have not done anything yet related to capturing a mini-dump.  Does the point in time at which I capture it matter?  Meaning, does it need to be captured at the time the machine is in it's massive slow-down?  Or is it automatically captured if I have to go to holding the power switch to reboot?

My Tossiba I3  laptop is doing exactly the same. Have virus checked it and cannot finds any issues.

Its so bad the system is unusable. How do we find out what's hitting the disc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had exactly the same except the HD sounds like a "grasshopper" when on that instant a quick check with Task manager display shows 100%....Chkdsk function shows no errors. My suspect is Firefox browser overloading CPU functions, Firefox is a data hog, where caches and other need regular clearing out.

Unfortunately I have other serious Win 8 bugs, keyboard randomly changing chosen language syntax from querty to quertz with it's horrors on the french/german characters.  There appears "no fix" for these bugs.

Win 8 is unreliable, is putting it mildly.

RJ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had a similar problem with my asus x202e

I disabled my antivirus / smart firewall and my disk freed up instantly. After I turned it back on the disk remains released, and I have about twice the battery life!

I use Norton 360, and have been using them for as long as they have had the "360" product line.  I suspect that this problem has to do with my solid state drive.

I am also assuming that most of the people experiencing this problem are also using solid state drives, because the problem begins after about a year or so.

The errors you are experiencing are likely due to the drive requiring a TRIM (defrag if HDD).

open a document explorer, go to MyPC, click your OS drive, open the Drive Tools Manage tab, click optimize.  If you have an SSD and it is registering as an HDD, then you are out of luck.  That drive does not support TRIM and can not be fixed.

I hope my findings are helpful.  Best of luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2020 Views 7,393 Applies to: