Why does my windows 8 laptop suddenly turn itself on

Hi,

After I upgraded my Laptop (ASUS X54C) to Windows 8 this Autumn, I've had a weird problem: my Laptop keeps turning itself on after I've run a complete shutdown. Didn't have the problem when it was running Windows 7. It doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally it will turn itself on right after I shut it down, other times it will be shut down for an hour or two before turning itself back on.

Any clues as to what is wrong?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thanks for posting the question.

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)     Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?

2)     Check if there is an entry created in a Scheduled Task?

Follow the steps,

Method 1:  Run the power troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

a)      Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b)      Type Troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

c)       Click system and security and run the power troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner:

a)      Go to the Microsoft Safety Scanner webpage to download the scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

b)      Click Download Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Refer the link Change the “Power plans” settings.

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings (like display, sleep, etc.) that manages how your PC uses power. The power plans you can use depend on the kind of PC you have.

Click on the below given link to “How to create and delete a power plan”.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Check if there are any Scheduled Task entries,

a)      Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b)      Type Scheduled Tasks and press Enter.

If there are any entries in Scheduled Tasks (other than the Add Scheduled Task Wizard), right click on each one, click on Properties, and then click on the Settings tab.  Look at the box at the bottom of the Settings tab to see if the task is set to

"Wake the computer to run this task."

This information should help. If you need further assistance regarding Windows, please post. We will be happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. No, not other than updating from windows 7 to windows 8.
2. Checked all the entries in "scheduled tasks", and none of them were set to wake the computer.
3. Ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner, and nothing came up.
4. Ran the power troubleshooter, and nothing came up.

It's an irregular problem, only crops up every now and then. But it is annoying when I turn off my computer and leave it and come back to it completely discharged. It also presents a problem for when I'm travelling and it might turn itself on while being stored in the hold of a plane...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I started having this issue after upgrading to 8,1. It's increased lately. Seems to especially hate facebook. If all my work was not on this laptop I would be tempted to wipe it and try another OS for long enough to establish if the windows upgrade was a coincidence but that I never had it until 8.1 where to matters work I now have to look into my MS account when it turns off never having placed a password myself it seems it has to be windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I started having this issue after upgrading to 8,1. It's increased lately. Seems to especially hate Facebook. If all my work was not on this laptop I would be tempted to wipe it and try another OS for long enough to establish if the windows upgrade was a coincidence but that I never had it until 8.1 where to matters work I now have to look into my MS account when it turns off never having placed a password myself it seems it has to be windows.

Gareeth... I also started having this, or a similar problem, after a recent update several days ago.

Unfortunately, I can't really help you, but wish to get in line for anyone who may have an answer.

My exact condition is... if I leave the screen unattended for more than several (5-ish) minutes... that is to say note use the mouse or any keys... sometimes I get the screen saver, sometimes not (seems more 'not' than getting one)... then the screen goes to black.  Upon returning, if I move the mouse, I have to re-login.  When the screen returns, it's rite back to whatever was on it prior.

I was watching a PBS video the other day.  Which I Chrome Casted to the TV.  Had I not kept moving the mose every several minutes, the screen would go black and I'd lose the Cast signal.

I've adjusted the power settings (via the Change Screen Saver function), but those adjustments see to go un-noticed.  Both with and without a restart.  I even turned them back to default but to no avail.

Thanx in advance for any assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My notebook also suffers from the same problem. However, it only occurs when I send Windows to hibernate. Last time it was turned on while it was stored in my backbag. Everything went terribly hot - this can't be healthy for the notebook...

Please provide a fix / help, Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with Windows 8.1. Found this information about Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

To prevent programs from waking your computer
  1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

On my laptop this option was set to Enable. Maybe it is set like this by default in WIndows 8. I hope that will prevent my laptop from turning on by itself.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I just changed the plan, I hope this works!

It was on by default by the way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I just changed the plan, I hope this works!

It was on by default by the way.

Has been a long time since anyone posted here. I started having this problem several days ago on my laptop. So far only after hibernation.

Did this solution work for you guys?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It worked for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also had Wake timers on when plugged in. Hopefully it will work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2021 Views 30,462 Applies to: