Why do we have NO Choice?

I have been using PCs since the 80s. I have also bought, registered at a considerable expense, many software programs.

Microsoft, you are not as much of a Gawd as you think you are.

Recently I had a laptop wear out. I needed to replace it so I did.

It came with Windows 8....the worst operating system you have ever imposed on the public.

Win 8 will not run my software. It wants me to re license all the music files I've bought.

Your graphical interface is ugly, complicated and to me, useless.

With much effort and heartburn I finally convinced the laptop manufacturer to replace the new laptop I bought with a machine with Win 7.

Not that I'm such a fan of Win 7 either but at least most of my media players and graphic editors will work in win 7 after resolving compatibility issues.

And why should I, or anyone have to spend hours and hours resolving such problems?

Microsoft, at the end of the day, you need me more than I need you.

Give us a choice. Who cares if you think you are the only game.

If things don't get corrected by offering an OS choice, my next computer will be a Mac or I'll finish migrating to Linux.

I am so dissapointed and disgusted with Windows.

I'm not here to keep paying and paying for new software.

I have many copies of Windows I've licensed. But what happens when the hardware, (laptops, desktops), wear out?

WHY CAN'T I REINSTALL WHAT I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR ON A NEW COMPUTER?

Discussion Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 151 Applies to:

You asked why you can't reinstall what you already paid for on a new computer...

You can.  Why can't you?  I'm using literally dozens and dozens of old programs on my Windows 8 computer.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

You asked why you can't reinstall what you already paid for on a new computer...

You can.  Why can't you?  I'm using literally dozens and dozens of old programs on my Windows 8 computer.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be.

All I wanted to do was replace hardware that wore out.

I run a music service for charitable organizations. Sometimes I even get a paying job. I use laptops and need at least two. One as a backup.

I have to work rain or shine, cold or hot and I love what I do.

True, Older programs will run on Win 7 or 8 but I ask, why should I have to be burdened with having to solve compatibility issues?

About six months ago one of my laptops wore out. Both of them were running XP. I replaced it with a new one running Win 7. It took several days to iron out all the issues of compatibility and having to re-license all the music I have purchased over the years.

Then, the other laptop failed that was running XP. I had to replace it but the replacement came with Win 8. You have no idea how complicated it became to attempt to migrate.

You probably don't use a computer to provide a service. Probably you are one that wants the newest thing that comes along.

Me? not so. All I wanted to do was replace hardware.

Now my biggest complaint is why can't hardware be replaced with the same OS that someone like myself knows, understands and can operate?

Yep, older software will run on the operating systems we are forced to buy but why are we forced to buy new operating systems?

All the laptops I've bought have registered copies of Windows. When the hardware fails, we have no choice of an operating system. What happens to our licensed copies of Windows? Does it simply go away because the hardware wears out? That's not right.

You may have all the time in the world to solve compatibility issues, re-purchase music licenses, Me? I do not believe I should be forced to do that.

I just want to replace hardware.

Then why don't you?

Nothing says you can't keep on using Windows XP, even if you buy a new piece of hardware.  Just pop your XP cd-rom disc into the drive and install it.  Perfectly fine.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Then why don't you?

Nothing says you can't keep on using Windows XP, even if you buy a new piece of hardware.  Just pop your XP cd-rom disc into the drive and install it.  Perfectly fine.

And you don't think I haven't already tried that?

It will install but few of the drivers work.

If you say I can do it, then send me a site to make the drivers work.

As a matter of fact, right now and for the next few hours, I'm going to try it again.

Believe me I'm sure I'll be met with the same driver problems but if you say I can do it, what the heck. I'll try one more time.