Where is Group Policy Editor Windows 8 Pro

Typing gpedit.msc in the run box on Windows Pro installs cannot bring up the MMC snap-in of the local group policy editor as it of course does on any Win 7 boot/box I have.

I was trying to turnoff the login screen since I don't take my computers out and use them on the go, and my dogs aren't a viable threat to mess with any files on my network. I did manage to find another way to do this after rummaging around user accounts, but it's not permanent, so I constructed a registry key and Q word value for NoLockScreen assigning a value of "1" which is said to work in many forums including this one. I also made a Q word value for NoLoginScreen to see if that would help. I don't know yet if it will, but the first move will work at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization and it's possible or likely that Personalization won't be there by default so you'll have to simply right click "Windows" there and create it.

But my problem is with finding Group Policy Editor which has been around for several gens of Windows OS's. I tried using a blank MMC and adding a snap-in, but you can't do that because Group Policy Editor has been omitted from thelist of snap-ins. This was not the case in Windows 7.

I also went to the Group Policy listing in Services (services.msc in the run box), and this is confusing. The "Startup Type" is Automatic (trigger start" yet when you right click the entryproperties Start is ghosted out and Restart is ghosted out for this entry on the left, and it's available for most Service Listings. There is a way to download an Excel sheet of the GP settings in the registry, but that's a stilted time consuming way to use Group Policy Editor settings compared to the snap-in of Group Policy Editor readily available by default in Windows 7, Vista, and probably XP.

Pasting a folder from System32 folder does nothing. One difference in the Services Listing for Windows 7 where it comes up by default and Windows 8 is that both have Automatic Startup types but Windows 8 has the words (trigger start) besides the listing of Startup type as automatic. There are many suggestions in the IT pro books I have for getting Group Policy and virtually none of the work. There is a pac for Server that MSFT writes will do it, and it won't.

TechNet and MSDN suggest downloading an RSAT Pack for Windows 2012 as does Jerry Honeycutt in his Introducing Windows 8: An Overview for IT Pros. That exercise is worthless for a Win 8 Pro box, because Win 8 Pro won't let you install it. TechNet on Group Policy has that info and it doesn't work.

I find no info here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/ There is a way which is time consuming to download all the registry settings that correspond to the group policy gui mentioned in "Windows 8 In Depth" but the whole point of the gpedit snap-in is to keep from the considerably more time consuming regedit settings changes that correspond to Group Policy. Brian Knitell and Paul McFredries in their "Windows 8 in Depth" book offer this time consuming way of getting a listing of reg settings in the form of Excel reference notebooks. We should have access to Group Policy's gui in Win 8 pro and it sure isn't there. Can anyone tell me what's going on? www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25250 Why did they make it such an Easter Egg hunt in Win 8 Pro?

Is it actually in there? Believe me asking for help at the albatross that MSFT has hung around the neck of their end users for over 15 years Convergys of Cincy Ohio in Mumbai, New Delhi, and Bangelore as you know would be a waste of time. If you can help me sort this out, by telling me if you have to have Win 8 Enterprise to get group policy on a box/boot of Win 8 I'd appreciate it. MSFT sure stripped the **** out of Win 8 Pro when they reduced the price this time around. This doesn't work or have anything to do with Win 8 as well: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21895 Thanks, Win8to10

I did this in Win8 and got to add things to the mmc

1. Open MMC. (Click Start , click in the Start Search box, type mmc , and then press ENTER .)

2. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in .

3. In the Add or Remove Snap-ins dialog box, click Group Policy Object Editor , and then click Add .

4. In the Select Group Policy Object dialog box, click Browse .

5. Click This computer to edit the Local Group Policy object, or click Users to edit Administrator, Non-Administrator, or per-user Local Group Policy objects.

6. Click Finish .

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I opened the MMC

In the Add or Remove Snap-ins dialog box, Group Policy Object Editor is not listed as an option.

I have Windows 8 Ultimate

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 8 Ultimate

No such thing. What do you really have? (It's either Windows 8 single language or Windows 8 Pro....)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the same thing and its not listed as an option

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 single language (i.e. NOT Pro) doesn't have the Group Policy Editor - just like the Home editions of Windows 7 and Vista didn't either.

However you can use this spreadsheet to replicate the Registry entries.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Refer to this website
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could not find group policy object editor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jason

What version of Windows 8 are you running?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are NOT running Windows 8 Pro, then you haven't got it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 8.1 pro, and it is not listed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2021 Views 19,932 Applies to: