When I try to "Optimize Drives", I get "Optimization not available" on an SSD

I am currently running Windows 8 Pro. I can't seem to optimize my SSD. I have read online that I should be able to click "Optimize" and that would send TRIM data to my SSD to help improve it's performance. But currently both "Analyze" and "Optimize" buttons are grayed out for my solid state drive. Also the current status show "optimization not available".

Thanks for any assistance.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 39,696 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

As there was little response to this thread and no information on the Internet, I decided to have a play and I seem to have sorted the problem on my PC.  I have no idea whether this will work for other people and I’m not an expert, so choose to do the same at your own risk.

I solved this problem by just updating my Storage Controller drivers.  Basically I downloaded the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers for Windows 8  (Ver.11.6.0.1030) from the Intel website, then went to Device Manager > Storage Controllers, right clicked on the listed Intel SATA RAID Controller Device and updated the drivers with the ones I just downloaded.  Rebooted and when I went into “Optimise Drives” it had automatically changed from “Optimisation Not Available” to “OK (2 days since last run)”.  So, problem solved.

It seems maybe a bit obvious in hindsight, but being new to SSD’s I’ve never had to mess around with SATA RAID controllers before, as they’ve just worked.  So, was a bit hesitant to start messing around with them.  Still, happy now I’ve got it working properly.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Same here.

Went to Windows "Optimise Drives", clicked Optimise, but it said "Optimisation not available" and then the "Optimise" button changed to greyed out.

When I manually ran Automatic Maintenance (Control Panel > Action Centre > Maintenance > Start Maintenance), I noticed a lot of reading and writing to the SSD during the maintenance process.  So I opened "Optimise Drives" and it was acting exactly like it was performing Disc Defragmentation (despite it recognising that it was a Solid State Drive).  I looked in Resource Monitor to see what was writing to the SSD and I can't remember the exact name of the process, but it was called something with defrag in the name.  I had already carried out Windows Experience Index before this, so Windows knew that a SSD was installed and showed it as such under 'Media Type', so I have no idea why it was running a disc defrag.

I just ran Automatic Maintenance again, but this time it didn't appear to be running defrag like it did the first time I ran it.  But, it still continues to show "Optimisation not available" in Optimise Drives. 

So, when it says "Optimisation not available", what exactly does that mean?  DisableDeleteNotify is showing 0 (indicating TRIM is on), but is windows still sending TRIM requests to the SSD or not?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.