What is windows 8 metro? Why is it here?

What is windows 8 metro?  On my laptop it does not seem to be of any use.  why is it here?  I received a new Lenovo 64bit Intel I5 for Christmas and was really excited based, i guess, on the fancy commercials I viewed.  For the first day I don't think I knew what or how to access and use the desktop.  I found the windows store, downloaded a couple games and stayed there for a full day.  Then came oblivion.  The total and complete absence of understanding for metro.  Why is it there?  Virtually every tile I click
sends me to the desktop.  STOP!   I know all tiles do not go to the desktop.  Just the ones I use do.  I guess metro sort of serves as a cumbersome sort of start button with news and weather imbedded.  None of the tiles I found will allow me to print directly and After 4 months I found win + prt scrn>Libraries>pictures>Screenshots>paint>crop>save>  ( download free ocr) and open  Libraries>pictures>Screenshots>filename run ocr save result correct and maybe after all this I have a copy of a recipe to get dirty.  HELLO Mr Programmer at the Microsoft complex, do you take your personel laptop to the kitchen to spill soy sauce on the keyboard?  Not me!!!

The good folks at Microsoft have created a tight circle in which venders must reside for win 8 apps.  Too bad you didn't require printer access!

So I close asking the original question   What is windows 8 metro?  Why is it here and what did you do with my desktop start button?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 216 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Printing on apps is easy.

Open the charms bar, select devices, then your printer.

or

hit ctrl+p, should bring up the same UI as the method above.

you seem to be uninterested in learning how to use things, but my suggestion is for you to go and read the how to guides on the windows 8 website. You need it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.