Updated HP Printer installation program (under Windows 8 )to function (HP says to ask MS).

I can not get Windows Installer to run the most current drivers/programs  from HP.  I get a 1719 error while in "Safe Mode"  I have tried MS Fixit and sc/scannow (from the command prompt) neither was any help.  Windows Installer 5 might be the problem but how do I fix it?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 216 Applies to:

Hi,

Have you tried running it in Compatibility Mode for Win 7 or earlier?

You shouldn't need Safe Mode.

Your OEM HP Installation CD should actually work...

Depending on the installer package, you may need to EXTRACT it to a folder with something like 7Zip...

Then set the Compatibility Mode of EVERY "Application" and Windows Installer you find in the root folder...

There are usually at least three...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So far I tried using the OEM disks (didn't work in any compatibility). 

The HP web site has an updated Windows 8 software package.  The HP installer crashes in about 3 seconds right after the program tries to check the system requirements

The HP Windows 8 package downloads, self-extracts and crashes.

Following HP's help thread they say to try to install in "Safe Mode"  I get a 1719 error from Windows Installer

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have never heard of needing Safe Mode to install a printer....

You may have better luck reinstalling your software if you REMOVE your printer in Devices and Printers...

I had a problem with a Lexmark, and nothing worked until in a fit of anger, I Removed it as mentioned...

Wa La... after uninstalling the old software, the software reinstalled properly...

The problem with HP software and drivers is that there are Installers INSIDE the installer package...

These "installers" don't get their compatibility set when you just do the downloaded self extracting file...

You need to get inside and set their compatibility...

There are usually at least THREE...either an "Application" or "Windows Installer"...

There are sometimes three "applications", and sometimes two "applications" plus a "Windows Installer"...

This varies by printer model...

Same thing applies to the CD... you need to get inside and look for the same type of applications and windows installers... You can't just set the compatibility of the CD itself... you have to OPEN it and then set the compatibilities... usually at least three...

Sorry this didn't help.

OK gang,

I tried everything HP told me to do... same problem. 

Ran compatibility tests until I could throw a brick through my %$^#@ monitor...same problem.

I ended up using a system image from two months ago and the problem seems to be by-passed.

Feels like there's a Loch Ness monster hiding in my machine ready to jump back out and bite me when I least expect it.

Problems solved ...... (insert Vincent Price voice-over) for now (maniacal laughter) .

Thanks everyone for their input.

Mike

Sorry this didn't help.