System becomes unresponsive after the recent installation of Windows 8 pro (Dual Boot).

Original Title: "Maintenance In Progress" - Windows 8 Unresponsive

????Anyone know the convention on this forum for closing a question/marking complete when you've answered it yourself????

NOTE: The description below is perhaps verbose. For a full understanding of the issue you may want to read it, but I am providing a workable partial solution that should be much more succinct. You may want to scroll down and start with that instead.

Installed Windows 8 Pro. Began having problems with System becoming frozen/non-responsive almost immediately. The problem would occur with video or if the computer was left unused (or not given any input) for 10 minutes or so. Basically any program that is open will begin to register as "Not Responding". The mouse cursor will go to the "loading" spinning circle and slowly over about a minute nothing will respond anymore until I power off/on. This cycle often causes a disk check to be necessary (which tells us something substantial is happening when I shut down).

After days of fiddling with the issues I determined there were likely several things causing my system to be unstable. The new Win8 video drivers supplied by Nvidia appear to be problematic and there is a problem with "automatic system maintenance" causing this issue.

I removed my Window 8 partition, re-installed Windows 8 Pro, allowed no updates of any kind, and installed no programs. Within minutes I had my first system freeze just as described above. The common denominator each time is that the Action Center icon in the taskbar shows "Maintenance in progress".

I cannot see what the maintenance is because the system wont respond. I attempted to turn off "Automatic System Maintenance" but that is not possible (nice).

If I run the Automatic System Maintenance manually my system will crash and stop responding as described previously. The System Maintenance troubleshooter says there are no problems detected (in admin mode).

I can find no decent documentation about this feature and what exactly it is doing. There is no discernable way to figure out what is wrong. No KB articles I can find, no articles here that show any solutions, nothing. I have checked my Event Viewer and haven't found anything of use excepting critical reports where I have manually shut down.

I have Windows 8 dual booted with Windows 7 on seperate partitions of the same HD. I have considered cleaning it all off and installing only Windows 8 but its annoying to have to tweak around with several guesses and re-installations in order to bug test this situation.

I'm at my wits end. I have serious reservations about this OS and I am trying to learn how it works but I don't have time to be a beta tester for MS on this product. I have come within a hairs breath of abandoning Windows 8 on a couple of occasions. The only thing that is making me give this one more try is I want to look at developing for Windows 8 apps and I need it to work. It takes enough time to setup a new build and start becoming productive with a new OS without having to troubleshoot what seem to be clear mfg defects before I can begin.

Does anyone know how to proceed to correct this problem or how to properly document and report it to a MS channel that may be able to come up with a resolution? I have no more time to waste on an OS that I cannot be productive with. This is why I usually refuse to be an early adopter. I'm guessing this OS will be so much better after the 1st SP release.

**Addendum

Running Windows 8 in safe mode does not crash. Of course the System Maintenance does not run in Safe Mode, nor can it manually be started.

Question Info

Last updated July 19, 2018 Views 3,952 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you!

From your issue description, I understand that you are unable to work on the computer normally after the recent installation of Windows 8 pro. Please correct me if I have misunderstood the issue.

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you. Do not worry. I will try my best to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Causes:

1. Current hardware may not be compatible.
  2. System is not updated the latest drivers.
  3. Startup programs, etc.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I need to ask few questions.

What is the make and model number of the computer?

Note: To know the system requirements to install Windows 8, refer the steps provided under the sectionWhat are the system requirements for Windows 8 Release Preview? in the article below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq

Run Performance Troubleshooter and then check.

‘Fix Windows system performance problems on slow Windows computers’:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/slow_windows_performance/

If the issue persists, post your reply with results and question asked as above. We are happy to assist you with advanced troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Praveen,

Thank you very much for stepping up to begin the troubleshooting process. I began down a troubleshooting path on my own yesterday and believe I have solved my problems with Windows 8.

I had planned to post my solution and thanks to all who had taken the time to read my plea/gripe/whine but I wanted to get several steps into the process and give adequate time to make sure the issues did not creep back at some point. Then I got tired and went to bed.

I'll add a reply letting anyone else know what may be going on. I also may see if I can change the title to more fully reflect the issue.

Regards,

Doug Day

Sorry this didn't help.

Solution listed below:

First let me just thank all those who have taken the time to look at this post. I appreciate your attention. I'm following up in hopes of helping anyone else who may experience this issue.

I'll just post the solution then a few additional items if anyone wants to go that far.

HD Partitioned into 3 originally. System Reserved (100 mb), a partition for Win7 and a partition for Win8. Both OSs were clean installs from last week. I don't remember which one I installed 1st but I suspect it was Win7 due to the size of the "System Reserved" partition.

Removed all partitions. Created a 250G partition for Win8 and installed again (System Reserved partition created at 350mb this time).

Long and short of it is that was it. Windows 8 works fine now. I was fairly slow and methodical and nothing is giving me any problems what-so-ever. I am still trying to decide what strategy of "dual boot" to take and I don't know exactly what was going wrong.

I have a plan with some flexibility to take into consideration the unknowns regarding how the System Reserved partition may be affected and I'll see what happens from here. The basic plan is simple. Create another partition for Win7. Leave enough space for a System Reserved partition to be created if it wants and see what happens when I install Win7.

I'm torn about leaving this post/issue open until I successfully complete with a "dual boot" OR call this fixed and if I have other issues open a new question and post a link to this?!

******Additional Information (the process) some may or may not be interested****

System (it is kind of old but far from slow or tired):

HP xw8400 - 2 x Xeon 5140 - 16GB Ram

Nvidia Geoforce GTX 250 - 1 GB Graphics Card

Installed Windows 8 as stand-alone OS choosing custom install and turned off all options for the OS to initially install updates.

Initially only operation was to allow the machine to sit idle until it went to sleep then hibernated. Woke fine. Let sit another 4 hours to see if "Maintenance" would kick on and start any problems. No maintenance, no problems.

Ran "Automatic Maintenance" manually. Process completed in approximately 20 minutes without issues. Tested using other apps and OS features while in progress without issue.

NOTE: I still have no idea exactly what is going on in this process. I have an idea but...

Tested IE10 with flash (long, short, full screen, etc). No problems, same with Chrome.

Installed initial 5 Windows Updates. 1 for flash in IE10, 1 for video driver update, a couple were unspecified Windows updates and a Windows Defender definition.

System continues to function in all areas as expected.

I still don't know what will happen with my "dual boot" experience. I would guess it will go much better with the plan outlined above but who knows? I have an extra HD I use for backup and I have considered installing Win7 and Win8 on separate HD but there are 2 main drawbacks to that:

1. In the event of a HD fail I'd prefer to have my backup separate from my working drive for what I think are pretty obvious reasons.
  2. Dual booting on separate HD will make the boot up process much less convenient for switching between OSs.

********************** Dual Boot Follow Up***********************

Dual booted with Windows 7 per above. Both OSs working fine still. I haven't had a single hiccup in either one.

Best I can surmise is that when dual booting starting with Windows 7 creates issues that the Windows 8 installer is unable to cope with. I'm not about to re-install everything again just to try to duplicate that (as I said I'm not interested in beta testing). It may prove to be wrong or right its just the best logical guess I can come up with out of the circumstances, but as we all know with computers that could be a trap and assumptions are often big mistakes.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem, but I don't believe it has anything to do with partitions. I've upgraded from Windows 7 on my Dell Studio XPS (i5, 6gb ram, 1tb hd). 

Every day at seemingly random times I'll return to the computer and find it's frozen. I can move the mouse cursor and can see the flag icon on the task bar has a notification reading "Maintenance in Progress" however I can't see what it's doing, no programs will open or close including task manager. Start button does nothing, nor does  any key combo like ctrl+alt+del.

I have only a single partition plus an external hard drive where documents and a couple of programs are installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue with "maintenance in progress"/Automatic Maintenance. I have not figured out how to turn off Automatic Maintenance entirely. So every other day I get the "maintenance in progress" icon in the taskbar and only certain programs slow down or freeze. What's weird is that the Automatic Maintenance is scheduled to run at 3am, but it runs in fact in the middle of the day.

I'm with ChrisMoore77 and I don't think this issue is related to having other partitions.

What I have noticed:

-MS Word has crashed at least once during "maintenance in progress"
-Windows Explorer becomes slow
-Task Manager opens, but does not actually display anything but a white window and it becomes unresponsive.
-Opening Action Center and trying to "stop maintenance in progress" does not actually stop it.
-"maintenance in progress" never actually completes, I have to force shut down (holding power button until power is cut off)
-Google Chrome is operational and I have no issues browsing the web. No apparent slow down with Chrome.

Without Task Manager working during "maintenance in progress" it is difficult for me to find out what exactly "maintenance in progress" is doing.

I am running:

-Windows 8 Pro upgrade straight from microsoft, no other partitions.
-Laptop is an Asus Zenbook UX31E (i5 sandy bridge, 4gb ram, 128gb SSD)
-Asus has provided up to date drivers and I've had no issues with such.

Additional Information:

-One more issue I've encountered with Windows 8 has been with shut down/ restart behavior. Very often, when I would shut down the computer, I would get a black screen after "shutting down" screen and laptop would never actually shut down (activity lights on). I'd have to force shut down by holding the power button. What was strange was that up powering up I would not get any "windows was shut down improperly" error. Windows would start just fine. SOLUTION: so far what has worked was turning off "fast start up" on power options. After turning this setting OFF I have not had issues with the laptop hanging after shut down or restart.

I hope we can find 

Sorry this didn't help.

This message is for both ChrisMoore77 and Ili-22.

The above did fix my issue but I don't really know why as I stated and I can only muddy the waters a bit with some new information.

I had everything working perfectly for a few weeks and I decided to delete all my partitions and start again. This time after re-installing Windows 8 as before I did one thing different than the time it worked (I didn't really think about it until later). I kept all the defaults during installation.

At this point I was back to my same old problem. System Maintenance would freeze the system. You can't turn off System Maintenance sorry to say. I also had a new problem... I was experiencing problems with the Windows Update as per the now infamous issue many have had. On top of that if I was stubborn with Windows Updates I could make partial progress but they would crash or freeze during the reboot. I was pretty much irate at this point.

After I calmed down I torched the partitions and started over once again. This time to maintain some control I took the same steps during installation I used when I previously had success. I used the "Custom Install" options and I turned off anything to do with updates and pretty much everything it offered. After installation was complete I ran System Maintenance and it worked properly. I was able to do Windows Updates and turn on automatic settings for that (although I don't let it install them automatically).

I didn't do this thinking it was a magic fix. I did it to have more granular control over the installation experience. I can't say it was the actual "fix". All I can do is report to you what I experienced and the steps I took that worked out for me in the end.

I don't actually believe my issues had anything to do with partitions at this point either. I would guess it has something to do with drivers and perhaps the order in which they are installed or otherwise handled. Who knows?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have posted a reply to both of you above.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just gave up and reinstalled 7. Without having a touch screen the upgrade seems pointless anyway. And ads on Minesweeper made me see red.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had a similar issue.  I just installed Windows 8 Pro in a multi-boot scenario where I now have four partitions, Win7Pro x86, Win7 Pro x64, and now Win 8 Pro x64, plus an additional partition where I store my downloads and other data.

After installing Windows 8 Pro I've noticed that my machine just powers down after a few minutes, about 20-30 minutes for no reason.  I suspect it was something going on with Windows Update re-booting, except that it just shuts down, or actually hibernates, because it comes back up in Windows 8 without the Multi-boot prompt.  If I shut the computer down and start it back up the multi-boot selection comes up fine.  I've turned off the automatic updates to force a prompt, didn't help.  I've just gone through the advanced power settings and set up things like I like them.  It hasn't shut down yet, but I'm waiting for it to happen soon.

By the way I'm really enjoying Windows 8 so far except for this glitch.  After about an hour of playing around with it I found the Desktop tile and now I feel like I'm in familiar territory.  I'm learning to set up the tiles like I want and I think this is a better visual experience than Win7's start screen.

I'm getting this posted before I crash, but I'll be back to follow up soon.

Walt  

Walt

Sorry this didn't help.

I still haven't crashed again, perhaps the changing the power settings helped.  I need to give a little more info.

I have an external monitor connected and I keep my laptop closed most of the time except when I'm mobile.

I have an HP tx2120us tablet PC, one of those with the swivel screens that turns into a tablet.  It has a single touch "touch" screen and also stylus input.  I use it most of the time with an external keyboard and trackball, no touchscreen or stylus.  In spite of HP stopping support on this model at Vista (I refuse to buy another HP because of the lack of support and poor engineering on this unit that cost me over $1200 new.)  I have managed to be able to upgrade to Win 7 and now Win 8.  It actually works pretty good in Win 8 with a dual core mobile AMD Turion processor and just the single touch screen.  I tried Win 8 Preview and was surprised how well MS did in recognizing everything on this "tablet."

Another issue I am having now is that the video drivers are not up to speed, limited to 1024x768 instead of the native 1280x800 on the laptop display or 1920x1080 on my external display with the NVidia GeForce 6150 GPU.  This computer has died from overheating in the past, but was brought back to life with a re-balling and new heat shims put in place.  I used Avon PCPitStop in Avon, New York to do this and they did a great job.  I also have two HP dv9000s (given to me by a friend from work), one is an Intel and the other is an AMD unit with the same problems of overheating.  One of these has died twice, but was brought back to life both times by Avon PCPitStop.  One of the dv9000s used the same NVidia chipset and the other uses an Intel chipset.  The Intel unit died a second time because of a local tech who replaced broken hinges and thought the upgrade was done improperly and so undid the changes and the machine failed again shortly after leaving his shop.  Obviously he was the one who didn't understand why the changes were needed.  (The shop owners have been friends for about 20 years and this was their son who was the technician, so I haven't jumped all over him as I would have someone else.)  All three machines have been performing admirably since.

Hmm, I just realized that my shutdown problem might have due to overheating on this tx2120us laptop.  That would explain the unexpected shutdowns.  With the new Win 8 installation I was seeing high CPU usage, so I might have had an overheating problem.  I will start monitoring that now.

Enough for now!

Walt

Walt

Sorry this didn't help.