"Restart to repair drive errors" keep showing up after reboot

Hi all,

I recently used the error checking tool on my internal hard drive on my laptop. It found errors and told me to reboot. Now everytime I boot my pc a message in the action center pops up saying "Restart to repair drive errors", and no matter how many times I try, it still tells me there are drive errors.

I can't seem to find any more details on the exact errors. I run Windows 8 Pro. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

EDIT: Running Chkdsk from the command promt returns a similar error, albeit a little more wordy: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume [the C: drive, the one that has errors -RF] in in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" Replying <y> and rebooting, gives the same errors: the action center still tells me to reboot, and Chkdsk returns the same message as before.

I also tried running sfc, just for good measure. The log created (CBS.log) shows several errors at the bottom, seemingly all pertaining to autochk.exe, in some way or another.

I wonder if this may have been caused by running drive optimization and stopping prematurely (in order to reboot for the error checking utility).

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2019 Views 81,105 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Robbert,

Thanks for posting this question in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely try and help you in fixing the issue.

What is the make and model of the computer?

You may try to boot from the Windows 8 DVD and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a. Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer
b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers)and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:
c. Click Next and select Repair your computer.
d. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
e. You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

If you are still facing issues then you may try performing a check disk booting from the DVD by following above steps..
a. From Repair your computer choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

b. You may choose Command prompt.
c. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER
chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)
d. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.
e. Restart the computer.

Note: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running checkdisk.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

If the issue persists you may also contact the manufacturer.
Hope this helps and provide us with more information if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.
Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Rohit, I do appreciate your effort to help but this is not about the make and model of the computer - it's about Win8 giving an unspecific error message and offering a solution that doesn't work. It's that simple. Contacting one's computer manufacturer will not fix anything because it's an OS issue.

271 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just bought a new laptop & windows8  has updated itself. I have also noticed this error message since updating. I have also noticed other users have posted the same problem,  I can't believe that it is computer related; it has to be an os issue. Please Microsoft, sort it out.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am now experiencing the same problem.  While I'm not 100% positive, I believe it surfaced after a Windows update.  Rebooting and checking the hard disk reports no issue.  After the reboot, Action Center still displays the same error.  I'm also using Intel Rapid Storage and it shows no problems (running mirrored drives).

Any updates on this issue?

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Oops - one other thing that happened about the same time as the update is the cause.  I connected a portable hard disk drive to the system.  It was the cause of the issue (still confused as to message saying reboot will fix issue).  My problem turned out to be a corrupt Recycle Bin.  Fixing it, removed the Action Center item.

I found this by running a check against each drive on the system (Properties - Tools - Error Checking Check - Scan Drive).

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me as well. It was an external usb drive. Scanned drive and repaired it. Thanks man

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi..

Since I purchase only for upgrade package, I can't run as you suggested. How do I fix without DVD?

Regards,

Joseph

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a. Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer
b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers)and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:
c. Click Next and select Repair your computer.
d. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
e. You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same issue. Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Oops - one other thing that happened about the same time as the update is the cause.  I connected a portable hard disk drive to the system.  It was the cause of the issue (still confused as to message saying reboot will fix issue).  My problem turned out to be a corrupt Recycle Bin.  Fixing it, removed the Action Center item.

I found this by running a check against each drive on the system (Properties - Tools - Error Checking Check - Scan Drive).

HAHA, wow, thanks mate, that was exactly what fixed my error. you are a gentleman and a scholar 

Sorry this didn't help.

TO:  Robert F in response to Uvda on Feb 10, 2013

I think that contacting your manufacturer. as I did. In my case a simple dell 0ne 2020 Inspiron proved helpful. I think also it depends on warranty in effect or not but manufacturer will most likely help you. in my case I called Dell and after giving them my info they pulled up my warranty info and low and behold - Presto. I had an extended warranty bought at time of purchase. The manufacturer was very helpful and sent me to the tech department where I let them take control of my computer ( which I absolutely do not recommend unless you initiated the call through info obtained in your warranty literature or through any manual that came specifically with your unit. Never ever give control unless your absolutely positive )

After I was able to have the manufacturer give me my own personal info that I provided at time of registering my computer then I was comfortable with the tech and letting him dial in and he proceeded to show me how to disconnect the remote access at any time by simply pressing the enter key. this was the first thing he went over. The tech proceeded to run diagnostics on my computer and also told me options available under warranty that could be taken if he was unable to fix.

Basically everything offered above on this string was what was done and the message did not return : to repair disk error reboot the computer. However. after some time shortly 2-3 weeks later I was receiving the same error code that you have been getting. In either case I think continued help from the forum moderator: Rohit Chettri is the way to go provided your manufacturer can not help you find the solution. I am pretty confident that Rohit Chettri is on the money and will give you the right info as long as you continue to work with him and follow his suggestions. If you fixed the problem please share on this page.  Remember those that offer a solution and are willing to take the time to help as Rohit Chettri has then those people like that are the ones who will help. he even offered further help after his initial post on this forum so please follow his suggestions until he can no longer help figure it out or has exhausted all of his resources. But yes the manufacturer does matter and will help you with an os issue like they did with me. Even if no longer under warranty they will help you fix the problem and at the very least give you another starting point to continue with the process of fixing this dam repair code. Good Luck. BL

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.