Regtrans-ms files filling entire hard drive

On two of my Windows 8 computers the folder c:\Windows\System32\Config is filling up quickly with regtrans-ms files!

Every once in a while I delete all of the files. Why do they still get created every few minutes? How can I stop this?

One of my computers even became unstable because of lack of disk space!

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You should find that in fact these files are very small and in terms of the multi-GigaByte disk they have little impact. They are the transaction log files for registry modifications to protect against corruption and allow rollback. They should not be visible anyway, do you have "Show Hidden System files enabled? Transaction logs are a fairly common method of managing database updates and the registry is a database (2 in fact).

A reboot should actually roll up the registry as complete so any file with a date/time previous to the last reboot would have to be redundant. To be absolutely certain the last restore point includes a backup of the registry so you could make that the cutoff point.

That being said there is no mechanism to replay the registry transactions once they are complete so how can they be used? Obviously they should not be stopped although you have to wonder why they are retained and not deleted when the registry is closed on shutdown.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, these are very small files. But if two of them are created every 6 minutes for months they end up taking a lot of disk space! When I started investigating the issue I had about 40.000 of these files!

I have enabled "show hidden system files" because I needed to troubleshoot the issue.

A reboot has been performed numerous times since the files have been appearing. Still I saw files that where created october 2012.

I am still wondering why the system creates two files every 6 minutes. It is not like I am changing the registry every 6 minutes. Any thought on that?

By the way: I am not the only one with this issue, but someone mentioned I should not respond with the same issue to someone else's thread, but start my own instead.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess this issue is fixed. I have reinstalled one computer where it doesn't occur anymore. And on another computer the files have been cleaned up and no new ones are added.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still having this issue. I have about 42GB of these files, this has to be a bug. The standard MS answer of multi-Gigabyte disks is pretty shortsighted when you are using a 64GB SSD drive and these files are taking up 2/3rds of that. Anyone have an actual solution? Thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still having this issue. I have about 42GB of these files, this has to be a bug. The standard MS answer of multi-Gigabyte disks is pretty shortsighted when you are using a 64GB SSD drive and these files are taking up 2/3rds of that. Anyone have an actual solution? Thanks!

It is January 2015, and it is clear that other people are having the same issue.  The answer that 42GB is not a lot does not help with the underlying problems.  In my case I am using Windows Embedded Standard, which also doesn't have a huge amount c: drive space.

If someone has an idea how to stop these files from being created it would be very useful

Thanks

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem and I agree with comments.

Do they not have a MS rep monitoring these sites?  Why not answer one question and make many people happy.  Wonder if the new forum address will be better.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They have MS reps monitoring these boards, but their purpose is to...

• Tell people to make their own thread so they can not receive any sort of real assistance, personally.
  • Post copy/paste "how to perform a clean boot" instructions.
  • Disregard the questions asked then provide nonsensical answers to unasked questions.
  • Tell people that they are posting in "old threads" that have yet to be answered, instead of providing the answer.

Then there is my favorite one, come into a thread to tell a person they asked the question on the wrong forum. This one really gets me, are they not "support engineers?" Should they not be able to find solutions to customers questions regardless of where its asked, instead of just brushing people off?

Seriously, I was just looking at a thread that has been unanswered for SIX YEARS. Asked in 2009, along comes not one or two "support engineers" but three of them. One asks a bunch of questions that, well, address nothing, then disappears. One that provides a seemingly helpful answer, but... Yep, doesn't actually help. Meanwhile other customers come along with the same issue looking for support until 2012 comes along and support engineer 3 comes into the thread to again, not provide a single shred of support.  Nope, this one took the time to tell everyone the thread was old and to make a new one, like making a new one is somehow going to magically provide an answer, instead of just answering the... .... question... 

Oh yeah, their other "reason for being" is to mark other ignorant, unhelpful, dismissive "support engineers" non-answers, as answers. Check it, on a "answer" post hit the V after the date to see who marked it as an answer, click their name, then click the V behind "member since."

But hey, we aren't customers, we are ad revenue, so who cares.

(thread referenced http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/vista-home-premium-cant-perform-backup-to-network/3fe59734-ce5b-4e44-ad65-c89966a0b9f8?page=1)

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mark as answer is my favorite :)

I had some really disappointing experiences as well. But....then again a while ago I had some questions answered with an actual answer. So, it's a matter of luck. I'll keep on trying!

Anyway: with regards to this issue: I don't have it anymore and I have stopped using Windows Media Center (I think that has something to do with this issue). Unfortunately I have never found an actual cause for this issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is NOT an answer to everyone, because the majority of people should NOT change or mess with these files. But if you find yourself in the position of PlantJe, or something similar, where you have more than 10-20 at the most of these files, it is likely that the user profile has become corrupt, and you probably need to create a new user profile while you still can, and copy over as much useful stuff as you can, being careful not to copy over things that will corrupt the new profile you create. (user.dat and associated files for one) 

When you create the new profile, if you have a lot of programs on your computer, and AFTER YOU COPY OVER ALL YOUR PERSONAL FILES, you can also copy over "most" of the application settings from the various folders from within the user/username/appdata folder...but you really need to be cautious copying from this folder, just getting what is absolutely necessary. for example, in the Filezilla folder (if you use that program) will be all the settings for the site manager and all the FTP settings for your sites, and you will probably have a lot of re-creating to do if you don't copy this folder. And if your browser's store your passwords, you will want the browser folders...just don't copy the profile files themselves (the ones being discussed in this main post/thread) 

And I find it hard to believe after these years, that a MS expert can't take the time to tell people to do this. Geesh...what a company, huh? 

If you should require help, (like in another 5 years? LOL) come see me at my own site https://everythingit.us or find me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EverythingIT/  (if the links stay that is...) 

As an added note, MS seems to think it is safe to delete these files. Though from what I understand, the system just recreates them, and how many, I do not know. I suspect that once the user's registry is corrupt, deleting them will not likely fix the issue, but you can certainly have a go at it. Their post is here: Delete .BLF and .REGTRANS-MS files

Donna
Everything I.T.
Oxnard, CA

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree. I found these files piling up recently and wanted to know why so many other events and strange occurrences were happening in my system. I have had ongoing support incidents and so far, seem to stump support tier 2 people.....then found hacker utilizing port tunneling protocols, then creating users and groups that appear to get updates of activity, then it balloons out from there to become these additional partitions that aggregate information locally, yet I have no access to them at all. Possibly a VHD created and now THAT becomes a serious problem. Time for some big boy monitoring via firewalls, then translate IP logs to determine points of entry......not good kids. I am not the type to dive into consp. theory, but I must say that this ain't your gramma's internet anymore. its a serious thing and looks like the consumer user base is unwittingly being exploited as the kink in the IP sec armor. I have been researching this just to even the field and defend myself. I speak from experience as a victim and Those who actively DEPEND on the pipeline being secure enough to even use daily. not the case anymore, as I am inquiring daily, researching these things daily and uncover bug after bug. It has been a slow simmer, but more and more appears to be growing..... But these unknown agents are operating within the confines of the system architecture, thus malware tools cannot truly be as efficient as we would hope. so keep that in mind.....then try and maintain an objective perspective while asking support person after support person WHY these things happen and listen carefully to those increasingly longer moments of silence....followed by hold time, while THEY research these strange things. When they get back online and call for a full system reset, or OEM reinstall back to ZERO.......again and again.......then its time to reconsider the big picture....again, objectively. ITs time the reasonable expectation of operating system security was revisited. Creating NEW software, built on old platforms.....ain't the ticket kids. That means the coding platforms have been out there too long. It does NOT take a rocket scientist to do that math....I mean, really now. why do we need patch after patch?

"Any insufficient technology is indistinguishable from malice" - (This was another version of an Arthur C. Clarke quote that someone twisted around) - ironically funny.....but not that funny. when you think about it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2021 Views 42,585 Applies to: