reduced upload speed since upgrading to windows 8

I have direct cable to the home internet connection which provided me with excellent upload and download speeds when using xp / vista / win7 based machines aswell as phones and tablets. Since upgrading my PC to windows 8 my upload speed has reduced to almost zero, I can't surf the net whilst sending an email & vice versa, when the pc is on all my other now windows 8 connected devices are slowed to alomst nothing but turn off the pc and presto super quick uploads again. An example is

I have a NETGEAR CVG824G Gateway Router connected by ethernet

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 344 Applies to:

Hi Damian,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

From the description I understand that you are facing an issue with slow Internet connection.

It could be due to the Network Adapters drivers or Security Software. I would suggest you to follow the steps and check,

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)      What the make and model number of the computer?

2)      Is there any Security Software installed on the computer?

Follow the steps and check,

Method 1: Run the Internet Connection Troubleshooter and check.

Internet connections troubleshooter allows check for any errors or incorrect settings and fixes them. You can refer these steps to run this troubleshooter:

a)      Click on Windows key + W to search Settings.

b)      Type “Troubleshoot” without quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

c)       In the new window click View all on the left pane.

d)      In the list of options, click on Internet Connection.

e)      Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I would suggest you to try in Safe Mode with Networking and check.

Step 1: Safe Mode

Boot the computer in Safe mode with networking and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.

Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Note: Restart the computer to start in normal mode.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start to normal startup.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)       On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3: Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 4: Disable third-party Security Software

a)      On your Computer screen Task Bar next to System Clock.            

b)      You will see the third-party Security Software Icon.

c)       Click on the third-party Security Software Icon, you will see a pop up.

d)      In that pop and select the option to disable, click on it.

Now the third-party Security Software will be disabled.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

This information should help you. If you need further assistance regarding Internet Connection, please let us know we will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried all 4 tasks with no noticeable improvement;

1) Prior to upgrading, I could send large emails; now I can't even send over 1MB before timeout

2) Prior to upgrading I could backup to cloud storage in just under 12 hours, I have been going for about 3 weeks now and am still only half complete

3) There have been no changes or new installations since upgrading to windows 8

4) Disabled Trend Titanium 2013, no change; has been active since upgrade and scheduled weekly deep scans show no issues

4) I have just downloaded Microsoft Safety Scanner and run, no malicious software

5) Have disabled and removed all drivers / software associated with my motherboard and switched to wireless dongle to connect; still no improvement

6) Reinstalled all network related drivers and still no improvement

7) Ran speed test through Optus; speed test indicates no issue, cnet speed test indicates no issue but still my actual upload speed is barely a fraction of my available speed

8) I had no issues when running windows 7

9) Rang my ISP, they tested from my home to the exchange, no issue

I have a ASUS P7H55-M motherboard installed with on board Ethernet connection. I disable this and remove the cable from the router and use wireless dongle or wireless PCI card, still the same problem. There is something going on within windows 8, the upgrade advisor was run before installing and indicated no hardware issues. Only a few software issues that where resolved as recommended by the upgrade assistant.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Damian,

Thank you for your response.

Refer to the link and follow the steps,

How to speed up your slow computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2746761

I would also suggest you to reset the TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol over Internet Protocol) and check,

One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in protocol called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become corrupted. If your connection to the Internet is really slow or you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it. Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP.

Follow the steps to reset the TCP/IP.

a)      Press Windows Key + Q on the keyboard.

b)      Type Command Prompt.

c)       Right click on the Command Prompt from the left window and click on Run as Administrator.

d)      At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

e)      Reboot the computer.

If you have any more suggestions/queries related to Windows feel free to post. We will be happy to help you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally SOLVED this issue with the help of my ISP:

NETGEAR ROUTER SETTINGS:

Wireless Network(2.4GHz b/g/n)
  1. Check: Enable SSID Broadcast
  2. Set to Channel 11
  3. Mode: Up to 130 Mbps
Security Options
  1. Check: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPAW-PSK [AES]
PASSPHRASE: (your network key)

Wireless Network (5Hz b/g/n): 

• UNcheck all enable boxes
  • Security Options: None
CLICK: APPLY!

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally SOLVED this issue with the help of my ISP:

NETGEAR ROUTER SETTINGS:

Wireless Network(2.4GHz b/g/n)
  1. Check: Enable SSID Broadcast
  2. Set to Channel 11
  3. Mode: Up to 130 Mbps
Security Options
  1. Check: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPAW-PSK [AES]
PASSPHRASE: (your network key)

Wireless Network (5Hz b/g/n): 

• UNcheck all enable boxes
  • Security Options: None
CLICK: APPLY!
So - I have to say - that does not look like it had anything to do with Windows 8...?

Also - you seemingly just jumped into this conversation (started by Damian Ling) to post that 'solution' to whatever problem you were having?  Are you Damian Ling by another name?
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Sorry this didn't help.