Poor RAM Usage by Desktop Background Slide Show

First, I am going start by saying that the 90 Day Tech Support including with Windows 8 Pro is unfortunately a joke after 12AM EST. I had both techs, a female, then a male, who both decided to hang up on me. I'll explain in further detail if anyone asks.

Well, onto the actual issue. I have personalized the Windows 8 Desktop to change Wallpapers every 3 minutes, shuffling the pictures from different Windows Themes going all they way back to Vista. Now, we all know that actual RAM in Use tends to increase the longer the system is UP. Tonight, though was the night that I was fed up with the amount of RAM that was being used.

My system has a Intel Core i7-940 and 6GB of RAM with approximately 43% Usage at Start-up, sitting at an Idle State. After 6 1/2 Days of Up Time,  my system was now sitting idle using 63% - 64%. So where did my RAM go?

My thoughts turned to Mark Russinovich and the Sysinternals tools he and his colleagues created.

RAMMap
was my weapon of choice.

I start looking through the File Summary and immediately noticed the sheer amount of files, from my Backgrounds Folder, that I use for my Wallpapers.

Quite of number of the Wallpaper files that were opened were being stored in RAM. I get why, buy why? I had more than 250 Files, ranging anywhere from approximately 400K to 1.2M in RAM.

Well, there was, for the most part, my missing 1GB. So, I just restarted system as I would have done in the past.

So, this isn't memory leak. It's just apparently an issue that Background Slide Show doesn't have any advanced memory management to clean up it's own mess.

My question is what next? How in the world do open a support ticket to get this behavior changed (and Techs who hang up on people Reprimanded)? I know that this issue my only effect a small minority, but I believe my issue is certainly fixable and I hope that an UPDATE will be released to all versions of Windows effected.

Please someone get this to proper Team Engineer. I gladly provide my RAMmap Save Files, just ask.

I'll get off my soapbox, now.

Thanks.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums.

It looks like memory usage is more when you use blackground slideshow. Let's analyze and identify the cause of the issue.

1. Have you disabled blackground slideshow to see if the memory is working normally?

2. Have you checked the event viewer for more error logs?

Let's check with the event viewer to get more error logs.

You also may Run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

a. Press “Windows key + C”

b. Choose the ‘Settings tab’, now type Troubleshooting in the search box and click on it which will be displayed on the left side of the window.

c. Now under the ‘System and Security’, you have run Maintenance tasks. Click on it.

d. Click NEXT, in the system Maintenance interface.

e. Once the troubleshooting is done, you can look for the updates and close it.

Check Event Viewer:

I would also suggest you to provide us any error logs related to issue from Event Viewer. Follow these steps to access the Event Viewer.

a. Move the mouse to the bottom left corner and right-click on the start.

b. Select ‘Event Viewer’ and click an event log in the left pane.

c. Expand ‘Windows logs’ and click on ‘System’ to check for the logs.

Hope this information helps. Provide more information so that we could help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.

System Maintenance did not find any issues.

Here's a link to my event log.

System Log

I will forgo use of the Desktop Background Slideshow for the next few days and report the results.

I honestly expect there will be an improvement, though that won't resolve the actual issue.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sure, you can try those suggestions and let us know the results so that we can assist you better.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your computer is using and allocating memory for what it is doing, will have to do, is expecting that it will have to do. You have 6gb and it is still NOT using all of it after 6.5 days of running stuff, caching stuff.

Do you not consider that to be a better option than leaving RAM free doing nothing? What is the point of having 6gb RAM if you don't want your computer to try to maximize its use?

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Sorry this didn't help.

There is absolutely an issue with the desktop background slideshow.  I have been running it for months, and have had to restart windows explorer at least twice a day.  but I never put the two together.  however, a few days ago I noticed a very slight lag at the same time the background was changed. I then decided to turn odd the background slideshow.  guess what?  not a single problem since!

Ms needs to look at this code and fix the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2020 Views 1,110 Applies to: