Optimise Drives Not Re-Trimming SSD Drive During Automatic Maintenance

I’ve noticed that ‘Optimise Drives’ isn’t re-trimming my SSD during ‘Automatic Maintenance’ whether it’s run automatically during the daily scheduled maintenance or ran manually.  I have my suspicions that it could also be connected to the fact that that Windows 8 Optimise Drives decided to perform a full defrag on the SSD right after installing the OS.  Here’s the background:

I carried out a totally clean Windows 8 install last week and installed all Windows Updates, ran WEI, etc.  I then manually ran Automatic Maintenance (Control Panel > Action Centre > Start Maintenance).  During Automatic Maintenance, Windows decided to carry out a full 6-pass disc defragmentation on the drive, despite it recognising that it was a Solid State Drive (as you can see from the screenshot below).

http://s11.postimage.org/9yg3i2141/Untitled_1.jpg

I’m not sure why Windows decided to defrag the SSD, but as it only ran the one time I figured that maybe there was some reason for it.  So, I set Optimise Drives to run daily and thought I’d keep an eye on it.  The problem I have noticed is that Optimise Drives isn’t re-trimming the drive during Automatic Maintenance at all.  I can however manually trim the SSD if I press the ‘Optimise’ button or if I run ‘defrag c: /l’ from the Command Prompt. 

If you look at the below screenshot of Task Scheduler, it appears that Automatic Maintenance is triggering the scheduled defrag action OK and defrag is running as requested, it’s just not actually re-trimming the drive for some reason (in fact, it doesn’t appear to be doing anything). 

http://s16.postimage.org/bt52l7seb/Untitled_2.jpg

I know I could just turn off Optimize Drives and create my own defrag /L schedule, but I would like to try and get Windows operating as it’s supposed be if possible.  Any ideas what’s going on?

SYS Info:

SSD: Samsung 830 128GB SSD connected directly to SATA0 port of Dell Motherboard

Storage Controller: Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 11.6.0.1030

Hi AnaBna,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you!!

However the issue you posted would be better suited in the TechNet Forums; we would recommend posting your query in the TechNet Forums for further assistance:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w8itproperf/threads

Please let us know the result.

If you have any further questions, please get back to us.

We are happy to help!!!

Regards,

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you find the answer out on this one?.

I have just Installed Windows 8 Pro on my homebuilt system on a brand new Samsung 840 pro SSD (solid state drive). The documentation that has came with the drive states that defrag has to be disabled as constant writes to the drive can cause premature failure, they provide the software to do this.

I have 3 hard drives in my system , 2 normal HDDs (D: and E:) and the boot drive is the SSD (C:).

I'd like to be able to defrag my 2 normal HDD's occasionally and leave defrag switched on. I have done some research on the internet and I have read in several places that it is ok to leave defrag switched on in Windows 8 with a SSD drive as the operating system will detect the drive as a SSD drive and not defrag it but will offer some optimisation with the trim and garbage collection on that drive and defrag the other Hard drives (HDD) as normal.

I'd like to know if having a SSD and 2 HDD's in my system should I :-

a. Leave defrag disabled

b. Switch on defrag but not select the SSD

c. Switch on defrag and select all the drives including the SSD in the hope that Win 8 will detect the drive as being a SSD and not defrag it but carry out some optimisation.

Thanks

Tony

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope.

In the end I just switched Windows scheduled drive optimisation off and created my own scheduled task using Windows Task Scheduler.  Basically I set it to run '%windir%\system32\defrag.exe C: /L' on a daily basis, at system idle.

With my other ‘spinning’ drives, I just defrag them manually.

As for Samsung SSD Magician, I didn’t rate it and un-installed it.  Despite the latest version being released only a day or two before Windows 8 was officially released to the mainstream public, it still had to be installed in compatibility mode!  I also noticed when looking through the SSD Magician log files some errors were being logged.  When I contacted Samsung to find out what these errors were, they said the software didn’t officially support Windows 8 and to let Windows carry out TRIM.  So in conclusion, I'm not sure whether Samsung have bucked their ideas up and released a newer version since October, but from my experience SSD Magician is very poorly implemented and I wouldn’t trust it one bit.

If you haven't experienced the same problems I did, personally I’d ditch SSD Magician and just use Windows to automatically optimise the drives.  You can see if it’s carrying out defrag, instead of re-trim by going into ‘Defragment and Optimise Drives’ and manually run optimise.  If it’s re-trimming, it will say ‘Re-trimming’ in the Current Status column and only takes a few seconds.  If it’s defragging, it says ‘Pass X: X% consolidated’ in the Current Status column and takes a lot longer (it goes through 6 passes in total).

Sorry this didn't help.

In the current status column it says Optimisation not available for C: (SSD) and OK for D: and E: (HDD).

Should the Samsung software always be running then, on my system it wont auto run.

Tony 

Sorry this didn't help.

I would imagine the Storage Controller drivers you're using don't have TRIM command support.  Check to see if newer drivers are available (you can see what storage controller drivers you're currently using in Device Manager).

Sorry this didn't help.

My motherboard is about 4 years old so maybe that's the case, I'm going to have the Samsung Magician software optimise the SSD once and week and Windows defrag optimise and defrag the HDD's. If that causes me a problem down the road I am covered by a 5 year warranty by Samsung, if any drive last 5 years I think I'd have to say I'd got my moneys worth.

Thanks for all your advise.

Tony

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, this issue continues to occur in Windows 8.1 as well. I posted here last year: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/performance/windows-8-automatic-maintenance-defragments-my-ssd/ac52d21c-a6c9-48de-9f22-27af6d23cf00

I'll see to posting in the TechNet forums as apparently it is a bug, but has still not been fixed!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2020 Views 3,792 Applies to: