Need help to make OLD software run on Windows 8

Need help to to use old version, American Greeting Creata Card Platinum (4), on Windows 8.  Buying the latest software is not a solution. My mother is 96 and is unable to learn a new program layout, and is only able to operate the afore mentioned Creata Card version.  Unfortunately her 17 year old PC and printer  no longer work and she is very upset at no longer being able to create greeting cards. . We have purchased a new PC running Windows 8 but are unable to get the OLD software to load.  Any help or ideas? 
|
Need help to to use old version, American Greeting Creata Card Platinum (4), on Windows 8.  Buying the latest software is not a solution. My mother is 96 and is unable to learn a new program layout, and is only able to operate the afore mentioned Creata Card version.  Unfortunately her 17 year old PC and printer  no longer work and she is very upset at no longer being able to create greeting cards. . We have purchased a new PC running Windows 8 but are unable to get the OLD software to load.  Any help or ideas? 
Unfortunately - a programs ability to run on any operating system is determined not by the OS manufacturer, but the application manufacturer.  In this case they did it like many others and created new versions.

Version 4 (what you state you have) is VERY old.  It was created for:

Windows NT / 95 / 98

That's not just a couple of versions behind, it's behind the merger of the consumer and business platforms even.  The odds of getting that version to work in an operating system that is 6 versions beyond what it was made for are slim to none without involving virtualization.

What surprises me is that you think the largest issue will be this one application - given what a drastic change from whatever that 17 year old machine was running (Windows 95?  Windows 98/98SE?) to Windows 8 will entail.

Truthfully: find an old machine someplace, spend the $100 to get it with a compatible OS that isn't quite the jump Windows 8 would be and install the software she wants.  It will work likely faster, look more like she is used to and cause the least amount of grief.  eBay, pawn shops, maybe a recertified PC from someplace that was designed for Windows XP...  I mean I can find recertified Windows 7 PCs for $99 that were probably leaps and bounds above in performance of that 17 year old machine - but whether it would run an operating system that application would need...

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your detailed and logical advice.  We really appreciate your suggestion. We just want to make a very amazing senior happy and we ourselves are technically way behind also!  Will try to get an older machine with appropriate OS. You have convinced me that we would be better served to sell the Windows 8 system and get professional help to reconfigure a system to match the old software.  Thank you for your help and kindness.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2020 Views 392 Applies to: