My brand new windows 8 desktop hangs/freezes on action

Hi

I recently purchased a new windows 8 desktop. Everything was running fine until last night, when my CPU started to hang/freeze on certain actions (e.g. opening a browser, file folder, or program) and it has gotten worse since. Today, I could not change windows, start a program, switch to desktop, or almost anything else with at least 20+ seconds of freeze. There were also multiple occasions where I had to manually shut down my computer due to the length and severity of the freeze.

I have removed all recently installed programs, deleted all recently downloaded items, ran multiple virus scans and performance checks, and tried to adjust the settings. I am not really sure where to go from here, as I am not sure if it is a Windows 8 issue or a hardware issue.

My CPU is a CyberpowerPC with a 3.5GHz i7 processor, 8 Gb of RAM, and a Nvidia GTX650 graphics card. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as there are no other forum questions with the same scenario as I have.

Thank you for your time

Answer
Answer

Hi Walker,

Thanks for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing an issue with opening a browser, file folder, or program you are also unable to change windows, start a program, and switch to desktop. There were also multiple occasions where you had to manually shut down your computer due to the length and severity of the freeze.

Please answer the following questions for better understanding of the issue:

1)      What all were the changes you made to the system prior to this issue?

2)      Did you install any third party applications recently?

3)      Did you add any external hardware device to your system prior to this issue?

I would recommend you to follow the suggested methods and check if that helps: Please disconnect all the external hardware devices connected to the system except mouse and keyboard.

Windows hangs or freezes:

Refer to the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

Disclaimer: MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE (THE “MATERIALS”) FOR ANY PURPOSE. THE MATERIALS MAY INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS AND MAY BE REVISED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.

Also refer to the link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-pc-performance

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Hope it resolves the query; if you face any issues related to Windows feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2019 Views 31,283 Applies to: