• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Move c:\windows\installer

robert_99 asked on

Windows 8

With a 64Gb SSD C Drive and space left at 5.5Gb I want to move the folders and files of C:\Windows\Installer > D:\C_DRIVE\Windows\Installer.

There is a how to guide for Windows 7 at

http://www.kavoir.com/2012/07/how-to-free-up-c-drive-disk-space-in-windows-7-easy.html

It uses the mklink or symbolic link method to point to D drive:

mklink /D C:\Windows\Installer D:\C_DRIVE\Windows\Installer

Once the folders are copied over to D the files the folders on C can be deleted. To obtain the higher SYSTEM privileges, above Administrator, it first used, in W7, a bat file:

sc Create SysCMD binPath="cmd /K start" type=own type=interact
sc start SysCMD

and file removal by:

rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\Installer

This bat file just flashes in W8.

How can I change the bat file to get the correct rights to remove the c:\windows\installer folders?

13 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Bill J Baldwin replied on
I'm curious why you used mklink /d instead of mklink /j. The web tells me the former creates a symbolic link to a directory while the latter creates a directory junction. The web is less helpful in explaining when and why I might use one rather than the other. Would mklink /j accomplish the same thing you did with mklink /d? I.e. would both methods allow me to place the C:\Windows\Installer folder on a different drive while Windows 7 "thinks" it's still on the C drive? Would I notice any difference in the end result? If so, what? If not, what would be different "under the hood"?
6 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress