Memory Usage in Windows 8

My Compaq laptop has 2 gig of RAM, yet I keep getting pop up messages saying there is High Memory usage.  When I check it I am only using 126 mb to 308 mb so my question is - Why the pop up alert messages about high memory useage?

Hi FrankSavard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

Have you made any changes prior to the issue?

Perform System maintenance troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

a) Press Windows key + W on the keyboard

b) Type Troubleshooter then click on Settings under the Search field

c) In Settings click on Find and Fix Problems

d) Click on System and security

e) Click System maintenance follow the prompts from there.

Run memory diagnostic tool.

Steps How to Start Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows 8

Step 1: In the Windows 8 OS, you can move the cursor on the right bottom and click on the search box. In the search box, you can specify what you want.

Step 2 : In the search box, you can type the name "Control Panel" and click on the Control Panel.

Step 3 : After opening the Control Panel, you will see many programs such as System and Security, Network and Internet, Hardware and Sound, programs and others. Click the "System and Security".

Step 4 : In this step, you click on the "Administrative Tool" under the "System and Security.

Step 5 : In the Administrative Tool Window, you will see a list of options. You click on the "Windows Memory Diagnostic".

Step 6 : A will appear. You will see "Check Your Computer for Memory Problems". You click on "Restart Now and Check for Problems".

Step 7 : If you click to restart, then the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool starts checking and restarts automatically and displays the result.

Please post back if you are still experiencing the issue. I will be glad to provide you with the additional options available that you can utilize to get the issue resolved.

Abdul Raqeeb Kola
Former Microsoft Senior Support Engineer/ Sr. Blogger

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi FrankSavard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

Have you made any changes prior to the issue?

Perform System maintenance troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

a) Press Windows key + W on the keyboard

b) Type Troubleshooter then click on Settings under the Search field

c) In Settings click on Find and Fix Problems

d) Click on System and security

e) Click System maintenance follow the prompts from there.

Run memory diagnostic tool.

Steps How to Start Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows 8

Step 1: In the Windows 8 OS, you can move the cursor on the right bottom and click on the search box. In the search box, you can specify what you want.

Step 2 : In the search box, you can type the name "Control Panel" and click on the Control Panel.

Step 3 : After opening the Control Panel, you will see many programs such as System and Security, Network and Internet, Hardware and Sound, programs and others. Click the "System and Security".

Step 4 : In this step, you click on the "Administrative Tool" under the "System and Security.

Step 5 : In the Administrative Tool Window, you will see a list of options. You click on the "Windows Memory Diagnostic".

Step 6 : A will appear. You will see "Check Your Computer for Memory Problems". You click on "Restart Now and Check for Problems".

Step 7 : If you click to restart, then the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool starts checking and restarts automatically and displays the result.

Please post back if you are still experiencing the issue. I will be glad to provide you with the additional options available that you can utilize to get the issue resolved.

Hi Abdul

I have just done the above, laptop restarted, no errors found, but the Memory Usage is still at 70% before I have opened any programs.

Any further advice?

TYVM

Chris

tcm

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I don't have any issues right now.  when I first started using Window 8, I found where I could view the amount of memory left, not the ram but memory.  I did the upgrade to 8.1, did that change anything?

My PC has 1 TB of memory broken in half over the C and D drive.  my question is "how do I view the amount of memory left?"

C drive had 500 GB, how do I see what is left?  we put a lot of pictures on here.

thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2018 Views 9,562 Applies to: