Question

Q: Memory could not be read error message

I just installed Windows 8 over my Windows 7 in an HP Elite HPE. I had no problems before loading Windows 8. Now I get "instruction at 0xed64fi referenced memory at 0x0000001 (numbers change) The memory could not be read." This happens when trying to open a program. The opening process shows  the memory message with the following sub-programs: conhost.exe, wermgr.exe and district187:the raw.exe. It appears to be in the program startup exe programs. A few other programs do strange things. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test with no problems found. Nothing else was done to the unit. I tried to go into the Data Excution Prevention program and change the perimeters but you can't do it in Windows 8. 

Hi,

Thanks for choosing Windows 8 and for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

You have mentioned that whenever you open a program, you get that error message and it wasn’t fixed even after running a memory diagnostic test. Don’t worry; we’ll help you with this issue.

For which programs do you get this error message? Is it for all programs or for a particular program?

It appears that this issue is caused due to some corrupted files. I would suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Clean boot

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." Refer this link to perform a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer step 3.

Method 2: Check disk

To check and fix any bad sectors in the hard drive, you can run a check disk scan. Refer these steps:

a)      Press Windows key +R to get the run window

b)      Type “chkdsk” and press enter

c)       Now, restart the computer.

Method 3: Run Virus scan

If the above steps didn’t help, I would also suggest you to run a security scan to check if there is any virus or other threats on the computer. You can download and run the Microsoft security scanner from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection

If the above steps didn’t help, please check for error log in the even viewer and post it here. Refer these steps;

a)      Press Windows key +X, select Event viewer

b)      In summary of Administrative events, click on Error and check for error logs

c)       Post the error logs here.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Cheers,
Ben.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get that same type of error but it happens only when the computer shuts down or does a restart. Also it does not happen all the time only sometimes. The computer is brand new. I have run sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f, and the memory test and everything seems to be OK. It also happens on my new surface pro tablet but again only sometimes. I have also increased virtual memory but that didn't help either.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

One of your system Memory (Ram) is out of order. replace them and check.
No error will appear again.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is happening on a brand new Surface Pro tablet. Unless they screwed up at the factory how could the system memory be out of order. Actually I have no idea how you would check and replace this anyway but thanks for the suggestion.

John

Sorry this didn't help.

i am having the same problem as this user but with windows 8.1 single language, i just installed in in my brand new HP pavilion and this also happens only when the computer shuts down or does a restart but not always.

Sorry this didn't help.

My computer is still doing it even after installing Windows 8.1. Computer is an HP all in one and printer is an Hp officejet 8600. I have tried all the fixes suggested so far and it still gives me an error on shutdown or restart. If you use the printer from programs off the normal desktop however it works fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

One of your system Memory (Ram) is out of order. replace them and check.
No error will appear again.

How would I do this ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 19,277 Last updated: May 11, 2018 Applies to: