maintenance in progress windows 8

i am running windows 8 64 and for the last 2 days my action center says maintenance is in progress however it doesnt seem to be doing anything except makeing my comp slow. when i goto the action center to turn it off it doesnt work and it continues on restarting the comp aswell.
i maintain my own system so how can i turn this off and get it to stay off.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2019 Views 84,071 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

So, still have same problem but now I can't get Chrome to work *sigh*

Ever since I got this new pc with Windows 8.1, there has been a never ending series of problems

1) couldn't get rid of Bing for several days

2) crashes: critical structure corruption, page fault in non-page area, memory management and more, or just simply shut down with no error posted

3) then seemly endless maintenance in progress = lag, lag, lag, lag

4) now unable to launch Chrome

Seriously, just hopeless, I was always an advocate of Microsoft, I still think highly of many Microsoft products: OneNote is a great new product. But fundamentally Microsoft was firstly an operating system for me and in this function, currently, it is inadequate. I need a fix soon, please, or I just have to look to change O/S.

2) points to hardware as a likely issue, specifically bad RAM. I would recommend doing some troubleshooting for blue screen crashes.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

So, still have same problem but now I can't get Chrome to work *sigh*

Ever since I got this new pc with Windows 8.1, there has been a never ending series of problems

1) couldn't get rid of Bing for several days

2) crashes: critical structure corruption, page fault in non-page area, memory management and more, or just simply shut down with no error posted

3) then seemly endless maintenance in progress = lag, lag, lag, lag

4) now unable to launch Chrome

Seriously, just hopeless, I was always an advocate of Microsoft, I still think highly of many Microsoft products: OneNote is a great new product. But fundamentally Microsoft was firstly an operating system for me and in this function, currently, it is inadequate. I need a fix soon, please, or I just have to look to change O/S.

I'm running Chrome without issue on 8.1

As some mentioned, your item #2 is likely a RAM issue, possibly a anti-virus program issue.

Simple things people forget to try:

• Use the the SFC (System File Checker) to verify Windows critical files
  • Recreate a new Page File
  • Clean your TEMP files (Disk cleanup wizard or CC Cleaner)
  • Use SAFE Mode boot options to disable everything in startup... then try running chrome.
  • Try a different Anti-virus product temporarily.
  • Re-seat your RAM in the slots on the Motherboard.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.