Keep getting this error message: The instruction at 0x19750080 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program"

I recently upgraded to windows 8. But when I launched Microsoft Office Apps like word or powerpoint, it keeps saying: The instruction at 0x19750080 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read. I've tried all of  the following:
-restarting the computer
-doing this: a. Open Action Center by clicking on the icon from the task bar.

b. Click on Action Center settings on the left pane.

c. Scroll down and click Problem reporting settings.

d. Select the option Never check for solution

e. Click OK to close the window.

Nothing seems to work. This isn't exclusive to office however. This also occurs when I open microsoft defender and when I click on the volume center from the taskbar. Also, it happened once when I tried to change the personalization. Nothing seems to work. Please help.

Question Info

Last updated July 9, 2018 Views 1,594 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting the question in Microsoft Community. As I understand, you are facing memory issues on the computer. I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix the issue and guide you in the right direction.

Were there any changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

First, I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

a.     Press Windows key + W to search Settings.

b.    Type “Diagnose your computer’s memory problems” in the search box and press Enter.

c.     Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue is not resolved, refer to the link and check if it helps:

Change the size of virtual memory

If you are still facing the issue, please reply and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks.

Rohit S

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have no idea if this would have worked. I chatted with one of the technicians and they told me to refresh my pc without affecting files. It solved the problem but it deleted all my programs, which was a hassle to get back. But thank you for the quick response! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot for your help, yet the memory test did not find any problem unfortunately.  Now, when I try to change the size of the virtual memory, I cannot because I am getting the same error message that prevents me from entering the settings.

Is there any other idea?

Sorry this didn't help.