Keep getting error SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (Wdf01000.sys) randomly while using my new Windows 8 laptop

I have just bought a Toshiba Satellite S55t-A5237 laptop in mid-August. It came with Windows 8 installed. Randomly while using my computer, for almost the entire time I have had the laptop, I have randomly run into my computer showing the typical blue screen reading ":( Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you (N% complete) If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (Wdf01000.sys)"

This has shown up both while regularly using my laptop, and also while it has been in sleep mode when I reopen it. I have tried doing the refresh option, where it removes all the apps and programs I have installed. This was problematic as it uninstalled my copies of Microsoft Office 2007. I have since reinstalled it, but I still receive the blue screen and error. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days, and some days, like today, it happens multiple times a day. I do not install much, if any, third party content on this laptop, as it is used primarily for school (reading and writing powerpoints, word docs, and pdfs). It is very frustrating to keep getting this error, and I am not sure what to do to remedy this.

I would like to have this stop happening so I can use my PC and not regret getting one over another Apple laptop.

Hi Tristynbe,

Stop errors (also sometimes called blue screen or black screen errors) can occur if a serious problem causesWindows 8 to shut down or restart unexpectedly. You might see a message that says, "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

These errors can be caused by both hardware and software issues, and it can be difficult to troubleshoot the problem.

Method 1: Remove any external devices attached to the computer(Except keyboard and mouse) and boot the computer and check if the Blue screen error stops.

Method 2: Check the link mentioned below on Creating a Installation media , then perform a Automatic Repair.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

a) Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.
b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (Wdf01000.sys)

According to Powershell

PS C:\Windows\System32\Drivers> get-item Wdf01000.sys | fl *

that module is

FileDescription:  Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime

So I would suspect that you would need to find which driver is causing this.   Are there any better clues in the Reliability Monitor or Event log?  Otherwise you could try capturing a dump of this and see if a specific driver or device shows up that way.   Hint:  use  windbg.exe  to format a minidump .dmp cd file if there is one which corresponds to the time of your latest BSOD.

Otherwise, checking with Toshiba, it looks as if there have been numerous updates since you bought your product.  Ask them for help too.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200005833

Also, on their forums there is an MVP who seems willing to help people "shoot" their dumps.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/Satellite-A505-S6005-Blue-Screen-BSOD/m-p/219550

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get this error (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDELD(iaStorA.Sys) This error happens when

Computer goes to sleep, the error displays when it comes out of sleep, it also occur when computer is

turned on. after the error the computer reboots and all is fine.

What causes this error, how do I fix error?

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2020 Views 6,505 Applies to: