Is there a way to revert the Windows 8 START Screen to the Windows XP or Windows 7 format?

HELP!  Is there ANY way to revert the Windows 8 START Screen to the Windows XP or Windows 7 format?  I am new to Win8 and am finding it VERY Clunky, time consuming and EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING to navigate.  There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  Obviously this old advice was not used in creating Windows 8. 

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2018 Views 623 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Nothing is built in to change it.  I'd encourage you to try it out for a while, maybe even personalize it to fit you, and treat it more like a dashboard.  Toggle to it when you want to see current information:  how many emails or notifications you have, what the temperature is.  In other words, treat it like you would your cell phone.

You can just avoid it altogether if you want to.  Just right-click the apps you use and "pin to taskbar" so you never need to use the Start screen at all if you don't want it.  You'll never have to leave the desktop.

If it's just not for you, there are some programs you can give a look at.  A few are ClassicShell and Start8 from StarDock.  I'm sure there's many other programs out there too that can provide the old style of Start menu.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I can't figure out why when I click on Internet Explorer on the Start Screen, it opens in a format that is COMPLETELY different than the Internet Explorer that opens on the Desktop.  The former is very peculiar, and not user friendly.  The latter is more like I.E. that I'm used to using. 

There are two variants of IE10 on Windows 8:

- IE10 Modern* (the minimalist looking one that is accessed from the tile on the Start screen by default);

- IE10 Desktop (the version that looks somewhat like IE9, but isn’t, and that is accessed from the desktop by default).

If you want to set your Internet Explorer tile on the Start screen to open as the Desktop variant of IE10 rather than the IE10 Modern then do this:

1. Open IE10 Desktop.

2. Click on the Tools "cog" (top-right) then select Internet options.

3. Click on Programs tab.

4. Tick the box labelled Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop.

5. Click OK.

(Note: The dropdown menu above the tick box mentioned above controls whether IE10 opens links with IE10 Modern or IE10 desktop)

*aka Metro

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.