I've gone through two Surface Pros now and basically having the same problem. Everything seems to work fine until I download and install the Windows Phone 8 SDK. I'm beginning to wonder if Hyper-V has some incompatibility on the Surface Pro. The system does not freeze, but certain tasks/apps will just hang, e.g.
- Task Manager will freeze and you can't close the window. Note that it freezes specifically on the Performance Tab before displaying the networking interfaces, so I suspect the Marvell driver is incompatible with the Hyper-V Virtual Network Switch
- The system will hang forever on "Shutdown" when powering down or restarting
- Network connectivity will grind to a halt (e.g. bringing up speedtest.net to test the problem won't bring up the webpage)
- Random applications will stop responding (e.g. Mail), although other ones will still function and I can launch new ones
I've done system restore to a point before I install the phone sdk (and so enabling HV) and the problem goes away. Again this is on two different machines.
Basic machine config:
- Surface Pro 128GB with Win8 Pro
- Office 2013 Pro Plus (32bit)
- SkyDrive desktop App
- Windows Phone 8 SDK
- Bitlocker is enabled
- So far I've been stuck getting the above combination to work, so haven't really had a chance to add anything else yet :(
Any help appreciated.