In Windows 8 file explorer freezes or goes extremely slowly when copying or moving files.

Windows 8 was working OK, but now when I try to copy or move files between folders it freezes or goes very slowly.  Task manager does not shut down explore and almost always now I have to restart the computer by holding the power on button for 6 seconds plus.  This is making the machine unusable for file storage.

|

Hi Nendaz,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

From the issue description I understand that you are facing an issue copy or move the files from the File Explorer and it is freezes. 

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)      Have you made any changes to the hardware or software on the computer prior to the issue?

2)      Does the issue occur when you try to move or copy any particular file type?

It could be due to the corrupted files or virus can cause performance issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps and check,

Method 1: Try to move or copy the files in Clean Boot and check,

Follow the steps to perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start to normal startup.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)       On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 2: Refer to the section “My computer hangs or freezes randomly” form the link and check if it helps,

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286#method41

Method 3: Scan your computer for computer viruses,

Run a full scan using MSS (Microsoft Safety Scanner) to make sure that the Computer is virus free.

A fast way to check for viruses is to use an online scanner, such as the Microsoft Safety Scanner. The scanner is a free online service that helps you identify and remove viruses, clean up your hard disk, and generally improve your computer's performance.

To run the Microsoft Safety Scanner:

a)      Go to the Microsoft Safety Scanner webpage to download the scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

b)      Click Download Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Important: While performing scan on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when scanning tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Refer to the link,

Ways to improve your PC's performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-pc-performance

How to make a computer faster: 6 ways to speed up your PC

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx#fbid=GuzYZLmbum8

Hope the information provided is helpful. If you need further assistance regarding copying or moving files from File Explorer, please let us know we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just experienced the same problem on my old (ASUS laptop, Windows7) and new (Dell desktop, Windows8) computers.

Few weeks ago, I bought a Dell XPS8500 (Windows8 Home Premium installed) and two 2TB SATA

6GB/s disks.  I re-installed Windows8 (clean installation) and few software applications. 

I always perform a Clean Boot.

When I copy/move/delete/paste files/folders, windows explorer suddenly goes slow down

and a pop-up progress green bar moves from the left to the right on top of the window. 

When clicking the drop down arrow on the progress bar, it shows "Computing Items". 

Afterward, the window explorer (explorer.exe) becomes unusable.

At that time, my computer is still functioning but window-explorer-related processes may not run.

I can close all windows successfully, but any further attempt to access anything in window explorer

is prevented.  Subsequent opening windows will show the green bar progressing on My Computer,

any folders, Recycle Bin, etc.  Users will restart Windows8 to continue; but the problem will

come back again soon or later.

While the green bar is moving from left to right, Task Manager shows 0%CPU - waiting.

right-click on taskbar => select "Task Manager" => right-click on "Windows Explorer()" =>
select "Go to details" => right-click on "explorer.exe" => select "Analyze wait chain"

Analyzing the "Wait Chain" by opening some windows and copy/move/delete/paste files/folders,
the wait-chain entries are building up.  After a while when all windows are closed, but the

wait-chain entries are still there.  Thus, soon or later the Window Explorer will lose control and

unable to suspend entries and clean up holding locks/resources.

Definitely this is a Microsoft software bug.  Until this problem is resolved, there is a problem

by-pass by killing the last (bottom) ddlhost.exe entry, such that (for example):

explorer.exe (PID:5084) Thread:4724
    dllhost.exe (PID:5124) Thread:-
explorer.exe (PID:5084) Thread:3960
    dllhost.exe (PID:5124) Thread:- 
explorer.exe (PID:5084) Thread:6016
    dllhost.exe (PID:5124) Thread:-  <== select this last ddlhost.exe entry and "End process"

Note: Don't kill the explorer.exe entry, it will cause a system damage.

After the last ddlhost.exe entry is suspended, all active windows will be refreshed and
business goes on as usual without a computer reboot.

This by-pass may also relate to other Microsoft Community questions, such as:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/green-bar-of-death-in-windows-explorer/d7f7e1eb-16a4-4954-9ccf-db24ee2fbbd8

This by-pass works for me and hope it works for you too.  Good luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not only employing the same approach by killing dllhost.exe but digressed back to Win 7 64. Getting away from Win 8 not only helped with that issue but others as well. To me the software is just to buggy to be useful. Also, with regards to the issues with File Explorer, I also found that the problem started with it shortly after using Internet Explorer. It started dllhost.exe and the problems started with even other applications. After switching to Firefox the issues went away, all of them!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mind boggling. From above:
To run the Microsoft Safety Scanner:

a)      Go to the Microsoft Safety Scanner webpage to download the scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

b)      Click Download Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Did that. Win8 stopped it running as it thought it was from a suspect source! So either this link has been hijacked or Win8 does not recognize Microsoft as a reliable source. Should not run links if flagged, so I didn't run it. What now?

Oh, my original problem is Windows Explorer regularly freezes, so I have to use the task manager to restart it. This I think is to do with Open Office. However, there are so many other programs which have issues with Win8, I have assigned the problem to Win8 and not Open Office.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was experiencing the same issues so I have just downloaded 
Lavasoft Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php#, it is free :) when it installs the anti-virus engine will not be activated if it detects you already have an anti-virus program running, only the anti-spyware portion will run. Just make sure to uncheck all the boxes during install process so your search engine and homepages stay the same as they are now.
Install and run a full scan, mine took over 4 hrs, it found over 75 items of which it marked only 1 item to ignore the rest were marked for deletion or quarantine. I used the programs recommendations for everything it found, after the clean up my system is running perfectly again :) no more freezing up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue - Windows 8 File Explorer freezing.  To top it off the application is not always visible in the default Task Manager view.

This is a brand new machine, the only piece of software on the laptop currently is Open Office.

I mean the new User Interface was bad enough, but buggy code in something as simple as File Explorer?

The Laptop was purchased as a Christmas gift for my wife.  She's going crazy trying to figure out how to use it.  Between the new interface and this issue with File Explorer (3 times in a 35 minute period I had to use Task Manager to kill the File Explorer process and restart it; I'm about ready to wipe Windows 8 from the machine and install Ubuntu - at least it does everything my wife needs and it's interface is more like the Windows she's been using since I upgraded our 3.11 machine to Windows 95.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get this problem when trying to copy files with a total size of over 1 gb with explorer. It also occurs the second time i copy any file without changing folders.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2021 Views 20,458 Applies to: