Question

I'm an Administrator on windows 8 but still get Access Denied. How do I get full access?

Jffry10 asked on

Even though I am an administrator I am unable to access everything on my computer. Could someone please explain step-by-step for windows 8 what I need to do in order to get full access?

504 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Even though I am an administrator I am unable to access everything on my computer. Could someone please explain step-by-step for windows 8 what I need to do in order to get full access?

Hi Jffry10

What files or folders are you having a problem accessing.

I understand your frustration about not being able to access every file or folder on the system.

If you are coming from an older version of Windows, such as XP, there have been many changes to the structure of the file system.

Windows now contains some newer components like JunctionsSymbolic Links, and other NTFS system files that can cause major problems if they are mishandled, such as changing the permissions.

These files and folders have the permissions set to Access Denied/Everyone by design.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP
36 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
slance310 replied on

Hi,

This is probably what you need to do... The security settings block out even the Administrator at times....

Hopefully the steps are accurate... they are from my notes when I had a similar problem with both Win 7 and Win 8... I do the entire C:\ drive from within COMPUTER...

It is possible to Change Ownership of any drive, folder, or file (Exceptions with some system files) by right clicking on it, select Properties, and then the Security Tab at the top.

It is also possible to modify permissions, and add a user with permissions. This may be good enough to solve your problem, but you may need to change OWNERSHIP...which I always do on my machine.

To add a user, right click on EDIT and select ADD....then

1) Advanced

2) Find Now

3) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

Change Ownership and add OwnerName as a USER

Select Security Tab and then ADVANCED at the bottom.

Here you can edit the permissions for existing users and\or add another..

Click Owner Tab at the top and select the User (you) that you want to take Ownership.

If it is not on the list...

1) Edit

2) click Other Users or Groups

3) Advanced

4) Find Now

5) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

6) check the box "Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects"

Now select the Permissions Tab

1) select "Change Permissions" near the bottom

2) select EDIT if the new owner is there...

ADD if not and steps 3-5 above

3) Give the new user\owner full permissions

4) check the box "Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent""

If the new OWNER doesn't appear on the 1st list you see after clicking the Security Tab now, use the first set of instructions to EDIT and Add a User.

93 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress