Horrible Windows 8 Font Rendering

Since 2 weeks I upgraded my laptop (HP) to windows 8 pro but soon I started using the OS I noticed how horrible and poor its font rendering in both desktop and IE10. I tried all the suggestions proposed in this forum but without any noticeable improvement.

In conclusion, I think  Microsoft by doing that, is in favor of (potential) future users who will be using tablets and touch screens and ignoring billions of users who are still using laptop and desktop PC. But they should remember also; the first impression is primordial in buying any tech products.

Hope soon they will come-up with a fix to this embarrassing situation.  

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2019 Views 2,585 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Samir_B69,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community. As per the problem description you get poor font rendering in both desktop and Internet Explorer 10. Provide the following information:

·         What troubleshooting steps did you try?

·         What is the model of the laptop?

I will help you with this issue. I would suggest you update the latest display/graphics drivers from the manufacturer’s website. If Windows 8 drivers are not available, you can install Windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode. Follow these steps:

a)    Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b)    Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.

c)    Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.

d)    Select the drivers and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

See RolandOH's reply in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/blurry-text-in-windows-8/ed053d17-b525-4e09-bdbc-de91114d975c

He provides an excellent explanation of the dreadful mess Microsoft have made of font rendering in Windows 8 on desktop PCs.

Worse still, it looks like MS support staff have been instructed not to acknowledge there is a problem and to stonewall by offering up responses copied and pasted from Windows Help. 

For everyday use I need clear fonts, so I have gone back to Windows 7 and Office 2010 - but not everyone will have that option. 

I agree with your observation that with first impressions count for nearly everything with consumers. It beggars belief that Microsoft could forget this.

Sorry this didn't help.

In order to attract Microsoft's attention, I've made a new post containing links to all previously posted threads about the same matter (blurriness - fuzziness  - bad font rendering in Windows 8).

If you would like to help, please click "Me too" for having the same problem on my post and/or other users' posts I've gathered all in one place. I have already clicked "Me too" on all posts that refer to the same matter.

Here is the link to my post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/poor-font-rendering-in-windows-8-blurry-text/f52a2002-d748-485c-8b9c-4862806ea94a?page=1

Thanks,

John

Sorry this didn't help.

You questions is irrelewant at best...
You probably do not understand English or want to anger this community even more. If you do understand it, and really want to help us, then please read the following posts: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/poor-font-rendering-in-windows-8-blurry-text/f52a2002-d748-485c-8b9c-4862806ea94a
The problem is related to font rendering in IE9, IE10 on Win8/Win7 and on programs that use IE for rendering text Office 2013, etc...
The problem with IE makes it unusable on almost MOST PC/monitors when used with most use fonts Arial, Tahoma, etc... and sizes 8, 9...
Please address the problem asap.
The only solution for now is to avoid IE, and downgrade office to 2010 version.
SK

Sorry this didn't help.

The only solution for now is to avoid IE, and downgrade office to 2010 version.

Or reduce your resolution from native for a wide-screen LED monitor.  Or use a Zoom magnification factor.

BTW somehow IE10 is not so bad in W7 as it still is in W8.  I can use native resolution then but I still use a custom Zoom of 112 to give ClearType some fuzziness to work with.

Sorry this didn't help.

You kidding right? It's MVP's recommendations to regular users to use zoom and switch resolution just for using IE and office, when other browsers just works? You should ask MS to fix stupid problem and help MS avoid legal fees for hurting people eyes.

It's even more sad to even read such comments.

Stand up, and help MS to notice this problem.

SK

Sorry this didn't help.

Any clues using Visual Effects to correct problems as per this post?

OpenOffice and Quicken "soft" on Win7 64 bit?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/openoffice-and-quicken-soft-on-win7-64-bit/7e8f4708-014b-47dd-8530-ab38fbf6d262

Report a Microsoft Product Bug
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug/en-us

How do you file a bug report for Windows?
http://superuser.com/questions/67131/how-do-you-file-a-bug-report-for-windows

Sorry this didn't help.

Visual effects have no effect :) on win8. I'm not sure why to ask, try yourself. I can reproduce the problem easily even on my Surface RT, when use with Arial 9 in Word, or in IE.  Open your eyes please.
SK

Sorry this didn't help.

You should ask MS to fix stupid problem

I suspect the difference in W8 may be accounted as a reaction to all the complaints about "green fringe" in other OS where ClearType is implemented using sub-pixel coloring.  

Sorry this didn't help.

"Smooth edges of screen fonts Trust me, you want this on. Without it, text becomes blocky and barely readable – especially on high-res LCD monitors."

Visual Effects and Performance Options in Windows 8
http://skeene.net/tech/visual-effects-and-performance-options-in-windows-8/

Fuzzy Appearance of Open Office, Adobe, etc.
http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/14787-fuzzy-appearance-open-office-adobe-etc.html

This sounds like the person you should be chasing after instead of abusing everyone who is only trying to help you.

Hardware accelerating everything: Windows 8 graphics
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/23/hardware-accelerating-everything-windows-8-graphics.aspx

What does IE Display like if you "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering", as per IE/ Tools/ Advanced/ Settings?

I have to ask these type of queastions as I don't notice any problem with IE10 text or icon quality in Windows 8, or with Office 2013, or any other software in Windows 8.

The least I can do for you and the other posters is to try to get someone from the Microsoft Graphics Team to contribute to this post with some "official" answers, but don't hold you breath.  I have in any case passed these linked posts over to them.

Sorry this didn't help.