High RAM Usage by "dwm.exe" process when moving or resizing the Google Chrome Window on Windows 8

Original Title: Over 4GB of RAM usage with dwm.exe

Whenever I move a window or resize it by dragging the corners, the RAM usage increases exponentially. In just three minutes of resizing the browser window in Chrome the RAM usage had reached 4GB. Yes, 4GB.

I've spent the last two weeks trying to fix it and I can't. Somebody please help?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us with all the additional information and troubleshooting results. Since the above methods did not resolve this issue, as the next method, let’s try updating the graphics card drivers and check if that helps. You may follow these steps for the same:

Update the Graphics Card Drivers:

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

c)       From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

Step 2: Try updating the drivers from the Device Manager.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b)       Click on “Device Manager”.

c)       Search for the Graphics Card from the device list and right click on it and then select “Update Driver Software”.

d)       Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the installation of the latest driver.

e)       If no driver updates are available, you may also search for it in the “Drivers” and “DriverStore” folders in the location “C:/Windows/System32” by selecting the option “Browse my computer for Driver Software”.

Still, if you are unable to find any latest drivers in the computer, then check in the computer manufacturer’s website for the latest Windows 8 drivers for your Graphics Card model.

Step 3: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the Computer or Graphics Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8 drivers available for the Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

Hope this resolves the issue.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2019 Views 4,154 Applies to: