GREG error - This operating system is not supported by this application- after installing windows 8

I purchased a Emachine called a EL1360G-UW12P HDMI from my local wal-mart on 11/02/2012 which as you can see is only 3 days ago.I didn't even have any downloads or anything on it yet and decided rite away to install windows 8 since I could get it for only 15.00 So I did I upgraded and now I have been getting errors.And I don't know what to do about them.

I just looked into my event viewer on my windows 8 I am looking for errors and warnings so I might be able to stop the pop ups.

I found a few things.The last warning happened today 11/05/2012 once the desktop appeared it had a warning saying."The application (ATI catalyst Control Center*, from vendor ATI technologies inc) Has the following problem: To function properly, ATI catalyst Control Center* must be reinstalled after you upgrade to windows."

If you know how to fix the above problem please let me know.

I also have a problem with this."
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -
 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-3127182291-3995661484-2937465812-1000:
Process 864 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3127182291-3995661484-2937465812-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

What the above means I have no idea.All I know is that I have been having some odd errors since upgrading to windows 8.And am considering downgrading.Back to the computer original windows 7.

I also keep getting something called "GREG" which says."This operating system is not supported by this application."

Any ideas on how to fix the errors would be great thank you for all the help when replying to my question.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi DawnReneesReaders,

Welcome to Windows 8 Community!

From your issue description I understand that you get an error message “operating system is not supported by this application”. I do understand the inconvenience caused to you.

Please provide us with the additional information by answering few questions mentioned below, this will help us to troubleshoot better.

-          When do you get the error message “GREG – This operating system is not supported by this application”?

-          Is it a popup message?

-          Does it have a name in the dialog box for the application?

I would also suggest you to perform the following methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Update video driver

Verify that the latest drivers for the display adapter are installed.

1. At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

2. Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results

3. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “ Check for Updates ” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

I would also suggest you to refer to the following article and perform the steps mentioned under “Update driver” section.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab4&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 2: Clean Boot

I would suggest you to place the computer in clean boot and check if it helps.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 Release Preview by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Step 1:
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.
d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.
e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.
f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item that are enabled and select ‘Disable’.
g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services
a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.
b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns
If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem,

Repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns
If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.
If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem.
After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Alternatively, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3:

Uninstall ATI Catalyst Control Center.
Use link:

http://search.amd.com/us/_layouts/search/search.aspx?csquery="windows 8"&collection=support-us

To install the correct version 32-bit or 64-bit.

If the issue is specific to any particular application, I would suggest you to contact the developers of that program to request support.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is on Acer machines. It is Acer Global Registration. Go to programs and uninstall it (GREGsvc.exe and Greg.exe)

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! That did the trick;) Thanks alot

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me too, on an Acer Aspire.  Not sure if I need the Acer global registration for anything, but it is now uninstalled and the GREG message is history.  Thanks for the tip.  Now, if I can only remember all the other 'solutions' that I tried before this one, so that I can re-instate everything back to where it was!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the fix.  I also tried other "solutions" that did not work.  This one did it for me.

I appreciate the "correct" answer vey much.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have fixed some errors but not the greg error yet.I still can not figure out how to fix it.
Computer novice and Boring Gamer. Not to good at PCs Or gaming.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the tip, it worked great 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Solution guaranteed:

The problem is with Acer global registration.  Go to add/remove progs and uninstall Acer Global registration (it may be listed as simply Acer Registration.  reboot, and the problem will never occur again.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have fixed some errors but not the greg error yet.I still can not figure out how to fix it.
I have opened my control panel and looked under programs and features.And the first thing I find that even starts with (A) is Adobe.So I don't know what to do to fix thew problem.And I don't want to have to delete everything from my pc ether.

So any ideas on how to fix this problem.Thank you.
Computer novice and Boring Gamer. Not to good at PCs Or gaming.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

here is the correct removal process for all systems. always create a restore point before removing any system or program files. or make a backup of your system disk

GREG is not a virus it is a Global REGistratiopn = GREG program. for ACER , Packard Bell ,and eMachines maybe some other. here is exactly where you will find them and within that file folder will reside the uninstaller for each manufacturer all will reside in the  OS or Usually the C Drive in the Folder Program Files(x86)\name of manufacturer\Registration\GREG.exe    Do not just delete this file, Within the same folder will be a file called uninstall right click the uninstall file and select run to uninstall GREG.

you can reboot your system however rebooting is not necessary.

Path Product Name Vendor Version Size MD5
1 C:\Program Files (x86)\Packard Bell\Registration\GREG.exe Global Registration Acer Incorporated 1.04.3501 85412 2D0BC9CB09D2D9BEA4CBF7A9F1465E15
2 C:\Program Files\Acer\Registration\GREG.exe Global Registration Acer Incorporated 1.04.3501 85412 2D0BC9CB09D2D9BEA4CBF7A9F1465E15
3 C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\Registration\GREG.exe Global Registration Acer Incorporated 1.04.3501 85412 2D0BC9CB09D2D9BEA4CBF7A9F1465E15
4 C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GREG.exe Global Registration Acer Incorporated 1.02.3005 284624 C234BC05EF8320ABBF1AA04B95886E16
Vista X64 fully compliant machine WPR 5.9

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2020 Views 22,970 Applies to: