Explorer.exe - System Warning dialog with "Unknown Hard Error" message

• Hi All,

Thanks to Microsoft for provide such a helpful place.

Have someone ever met a explorer.exe - System Warning dialog with "Unknown Hard Error" message?

I upload it to link postimg.org/image/grsj6f7r1

It occurs while I boot into Windows 8 and go to Metro

System will stay at this condition unless I close the dialog. But System runs well after then.

It only happened sometimes when I boot into Windows 8, but it blocks my work because I need to test system stability by automatic reboot continually.

I have several units and all of them have chance to see this problem, all of them have different hardware configuration, so I think it's not related to hardware components (HDD, RAM)

I've also done check disk by chkdsk /r /f

Hoping can get solution or some inspiration to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 21, 2018 Views 144,470 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Ming,

I appreciate your efforts to resolve the issue.

This issue may occur due to conflict between third party applications or due to system file corruption.

Did you make any recent hardware or software changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:
I would suggest you to boot the computer in Safe Mode and set the computer in clean boot state from Safe Mode.

Step 1:
Start the computer in Safe mode, to start the computer with minimal set of drivers and files.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Step 2:
Now set the computer in clean boot state from Safe Mode and check if it helps.

Setting the system in clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2:
If the issue persists,
I would suggest you to run System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

106 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer
Hello,

You may like to give a try to the fix mentioned in following article and see if that helps:

Hope this helps, Good luck :)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

70 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.