Error: "The disk check could not be performed because windows cannot access the disk."

if i click properties on external hardisk , it has zero bytes free and used space, and if click the “check now” in tool tab under error checking it says ” The disk check could not be performed because windows cannot access the disk..
is there anything i can do the fix these ?? and be able to operate my external hard disk again? please help me 

Original title: Hard disk Access Error

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 7,521 Applies to:

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction to fix the issue. However, I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue in order to provide you with better assistance.

a. Did you make any significant hardware or software changes to the computer prior to this issue?

b. What is the make and model no. of the external hard disk drive (HDD)?

In order to diagnose and troubleshoot the root cause of the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if these are helpful.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try changing the external hard drive’s drive letter and check if it helps:

a.   Press Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc and click OK.

b.   In the Disk Management window, right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• c.  To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
  • If the issue still exists, try the next method.
  • Method 2:
  • Run Check Disk from an elevated Command Prompt. To open elevated command prompt press Windows key + X, click on Command Prompt (Admin). Now, follow the below provided steps:
  • a.  In the command prompt, type chkdsk followed by one or a combination of switches listed in step b and c.
  • Note 1: You need to perform check disk operation on C: drive. So, the command to switch to C: drive would be chkdsk c: and followed by switches as given in the steps further.

• b.  /f = The /f switch is the most common of the chkdsk switches. It tells chkdsk to try and fix any errors it finds.

• EX Type: chkdsk C:/f

Note 2: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows boots (restarts).

• c.  /r = The /r switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that cannot hold saved data anymore.

EX Type: chkdsk c:/r

• Note: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows boots.

• Warning: If check disk finds any bad sector, the data on the sector would be lost.

• Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

• 20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You sir are a hero.  Thank you very much

Regards

Colin

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.