Question

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (tcpip.sys) blue screen error leading to computer restart

RoisinNi Sheac asked on

Hi,

I have recently bought a new refurbished laptop and am having an issue from the get go. I purchased the laptop yesterday. It's a Sony Vaio Fit 15 E, 64 bit with Windows 8 pre-installed. There are times when I get a blue screen with a sad face that just explains that an error has occurred, the error being: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (tcpip.sys). It is mainly happening when I try to use torrent software. I've done excessive thread lurking on various sites looking for a solution to the problem but nothing I try works.

Some forums have said the issue is that network adapter drivers need updated but when I check for updates I'm told I have to most up to date drivers. Other forums suggest it is an issue with McAfee drivers interfering. McAfee was pre-installed but I uninstalled all McAfee products manually and then used MCPR to remove all McAfee software still hiding on the laptop which, it says, has worked. I have AVG and Malwarebytes installed also and tried removing them and trying again to see if they were the issue, but even when removed the error kept appearing and the computer crashing.

I'm really not sure what the issue is and every time I try a suggestion from other sites they don't solve the problem. I have uploaded the minidumps on my laptop here below, however I have no idea how to read or analyse them. Is there anybody that would be able to help me?

Minidump files: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3gAlOZ6dvu8MG5LWjh5cHFQOG8&usp=drive_web

Thanks,

Roisin

52 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Okay, it appears that Malwarebytes is still possibly the issue here, so please remove that from the equation as well.

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Hi Roisin,

All of the attached DMP files are of the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) bug check.

This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high. This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have used improper addresses.

-- FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xD1_tcpip+138ac3

^^ tcpip.sys is labeled as the fault, however this is not the true cause of the crash. There's something causing NETBIOS conflicts. Further debugging shows the following consistent process crash in every crash dump:

-- PROCESS_NAME:  mbamservice.exe

^^ Malwarebytes.

With this said, AVG is causing conflicts with Malwarebytes. Regardless of the fact that one is an antivirus suite and the other is antimalware, both are active protection and are trying to install their interceptors to the kernel to analyze critical data. Due to both active protection softwares trying to do this, conflicts are occurring.

--------------------

Remove and replace AVG with Windows 8's built-in Windows Defender for temporary troubleshooting purposes as it's conflicting with Malwarebytes:

AVG removal - http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Windows Defender (how to turn on after removal) - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21962-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress