Desktop and start menu will not load in Window 8 Task ended in task manager. Will shutdown restart bring them back?

Desktop and start menu will not load in Window 8   Task ended in task manager.   Will shutdown restart bring them back?

I have not shut down PC/Windows 8 as I had Windows Explore (file mgr.) running when desktop ended and am able still to open and close windows/programs by finding .exe files.  I can get to Task Mgr.  ctrl,alt,del   Afraid if I lose (close) Windows Explore I'll be completely lockout.   Will a complete shutdown and restart bring back desktop and start menu?   When I try doing desktop screen resolution etc from control program get message desktop won't load.  can minimuize windows, but t hen just have blue screen no startup or desktop-pnned  icons   also can not get to start menu.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2018 Views 571 Applies to:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

From the issue description, I understand that you are unable to get to desktop and start menu from Windows explorer and you just have a blue screen when you minimize the programs. We need some more information to assist you in a better way.

1.      What is the make and model of the computer?

2.      Do you have a Windows 8 recovery disc?

3.      Do you get any error message on the screen which has blue screen? If yes, what is the error message?

4.      Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

This might be an issue if the Windows.exe process in the task manager has ended. Let’s try few methods and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1: Start Windows .exe process in explorer.

Follow the steps to start Windows.exe process.

a.       Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

b.      Go to Task manager using navigation keys and press Enter.

c.       Click on File.

d.      Click on New Task.

e.       Type Explorer.exe and press Enter.

Method 2: Please restart the computer.

Restarting the computer will start all the required processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists or for any Windows related queries or issues, please get back to us. We are here to assist you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.