Computer Stops responding before Windows 8 Logo

Hi,

Sometimes when I start my computer, The first startup stuff like the Motherboards name, loading all the components and the bit where it asks if you would like to boot drom CD/DVD Drive?, but as soon as that finishes and its about to show the Windows 8 logo, the screens stay black, the monitors actually go on standby mode like they have no picture to receive, nothing else happens. I press the reset button and let it load again, the Logo finally appears but then it does an automatic recovery due to an improper shutdown. That sounds to me like it loaded and was waiting for me to enter in my login. It wanted me to do a System Restore but chose not to proceed. I restarted again, it loaded fine but actually took a really long time to get off the logo. I then logged on, and everything was much slower than usual to load. My screen then went black again but then came back, no error.

So I was thinking 3 things,

1. I upgraded not clean installed Windows 8 Pro. Might be having issue with that. Which would really be annoying. I did upgrade for a reason!

2. The HDD's are pretty old now, maybe the Windows HDD is on its way out.

3. My Graphics Card could be dying.

Anybody know whats going on?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 84 Applies to:

​Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community forums.

From the issue description, I see that you are unable to boot the computer normally and get black screen before Windows 8 logo appears.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. We are here to help and guide you in the right direction.

To resolve this issue I may need some more information:
1. Did you make any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:
I would suggest you to disconnect all external devices except mouse and keyboard and check if it helps.

Method 2:
I would suggest you to boot the computer in Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode or not. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, you may perform clean boot to check software conflicts.

Step 1:
Start the computer in Safe mode, to start the computer with minimal set of drivers and files.

To start the computer in Safe Mode, follow these steps.

Step 2:
Now perform clean boot from Safe Mode and check if it helps.
By setting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.
Let us know the status of the issue after performing the troubleshooting steps. If you need any further assistance or information about Windows, I will be glad to help you. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I made no changes that showed affects. Safe Mode does the same. When I can log on. The screen is now getting turned to standby more often now. It may be my Graphics card, but the computer is still really slow...

Sorry this didn't help.

​Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate your efforts put in to try the troubleshooting steps.

I would suggest you to try the steps in the article and check if it helps.

Windows hangs or freezes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0#method1

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Refer to the link for additional information.

Ways to improve your PC's performance
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/improve-pc-performance

Note: Disk cleanup cleans up files associated with your user account. You can also use Disk Cleanup to clean up all the files on your computer.

Let us know the status of the issue after performing the troubleshooting steps. If you need any further assistance or information about Windows, I will be glad to help you. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Sorry this didn't help.