can't open computer.

I have a new HP laptop with windows 8.  I was working on the computer, walked away and when I came back I had to sign back in.  No problem, except now when I try to sign in with my password, the computer says " Your PC is offline.  Please sign in with the last password used on this PC.   What the ?

I try and nothing.  I have shut it down, I have restarted it, nothing.  Help!!

Hi,

We are glad to know that you have chosen Windows 8 and thank you for asking this question on Microsoft Community.

1) Are you able to sign in to Live account?

2) Have you made any changes on the computer prior to this issue?

If you are not able to sign in to Live account, I would suggest you to perform System Restore using Windows 8 DVD or USB and check if the issue persists.

a)      Press ‘Windows Key + r’.

b)       In the run window type ‘rstrui.exe’ and click on OK.

c)        Click on next in the System Restore windows.

d)       Now choose the restore point of your choice, and try to restore your computer back to earlier state.

Hope this helps. Try the above steps and get back to us for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am also having this issue

I can sign into my live account and tried the reset password non-solution.

My notebook was working fine until I restarted it since Microsoft told me to in order to install some updates.  Ever since I have been locked out.

I am using a mobile hotspot and have no ethernet port on my notebook, so that is also a non-solution.

I am on the log in screen.  Someone suggested Window key + w and search for troubleshooting.  You suggest windows key + r for a restore.  Either way all I am doing is entering a character into the password place.

I do have an app from Starock that gives me back the start menu.  I know one of the options was to use the windows key to switch back and forth between the Windows 8 Start screen and the desktop.

How can those imbeciles at Microsoft put out an operating system with such major flaws?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 43 Applies to: