Can't do anything on windows 8 login screen for about 5 minutes - network?

Whenever my computer loads up, it gets to the login/lock screen but for some reason the mouse and keyboard doesn't work for about five minutes, so I can't click and type my password to get to Windows.

There's normally a little network not connected icon at the bottom left so is this due to my wireless dongle playing up?
That would seem weird though as how would PCs that don't have always on connections log in at all, if it was needed for booting the PC.

Windows 8 Pro btw.

Hi GrahamStark,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

From your description I understand that your login screen is stuck for about 5 minutes.
Let’s start with some questions.
1. Since when are you facing this issue?
2. What is the make and model of the computer?
3. After five minutes are you able to type the password to get to Windows?
4. What is the security software installed on the computer?
5. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I want you try the following methods to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Please try performance troubleshooter. Refer the link for performance troubleshooter.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/performance-maintenance-help#performance-maintenance-help=windows-8&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

Method 2: I suggest you to download Microsoft safety scanner and scan your computer.
Follow the link.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 3: Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts. Follow these steps given in the link below to start the computer in clean boot.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you are done with all the steps perform Step 3 to reset the computer to start as usual.

Hope the above information helps.

Do get back to us and let me know the status of the issue or if you need further information regarding Windows

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Since when are you facing this issue? 
- About a month now.
2. What is the make and model of the computer? 
- Dell Vostro 420, although I have put extra RAM in.
3. After five minutes are you able to type the password to get to Windows? 
- Yes, after five minutes or so the Icon changes to a wireless five bar icon and then the mouse and keyboard works.
4. What is the security software installed on the computer?
- Don't have anything beyond the bundled Windows 8 stuff
5. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
- Installed some RAM

I'll try those steps and see if it helps, although the performance stuff in step 1 is not relevant I don't think. It's not running slowly, it's just the keyboard and mouse don't work for ages so I can't log in. (Caps Lock won't even turn on on the keyboard). I would have thought this is suggesting something is interfering with the USB?

What's the significance of the network icons on the Login screen? Can you usually log in when you don't have network connectivity?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 332 Applies to: