can I trade windows 8 for windows 7 on my new PC. Windows 8 sucks!! Not a newb.

Bought new PC for my wife at Xmas . have used every version of windows since 3.1 and this one is the worst. I have spent hours figuring this thing out.  To integrated with everything. No control. Skype suck with this interface. About to cancel my Skype account. Been paying for years for that and now no control I thought Vista was bad.  Is there any hope of rolling this PC to a windows 7? Do I need to take this back to Costco and then go buy a used performance PC with 7 of e-bay to get a decent experience?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that “You are facing issues with Skype".Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Does the issue occur only with the Skype?

Method 1
I would suggest you to run App troubleshooter.

Download and run the New UI App troubleshooter and check.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2
I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link:

What to do if you have problems with an app
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

If you want to revert back to Windows 7, I would suggest you to see the following link:

Upgrade to Windows 8 (What if I change my mind? Can I just go back to my old operating system?)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I see Microsoft still is not listening to there customers.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got a new laptop at Christmas too and it came with Windows 8. I have tried to be patient and learn this new system, but I am so tired of its quirks. The control panel can only be accessed through what seems like a back door of sorts. Now I am trying to upload pix from my i phone through the usb ports and the computer doesn't seem to notice anything is plugged in. I don't know how to get the device recognized. I'm so tired of being patient with this substandard system. This is not an improvement. Please help! This is a brand new computer and I can't afford to just get something else. I want to trade it for the old Windows 7. PLEASE!

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don't like the default Start Menu or the apps, try one of these..

Use an alternative start menu..

Free..

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

https://www.pokki.com/  

Costs $5 but is just like Windows 7..

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

All of them will divert straight to the Windows 8 desktop where you can run what you like just as per Windows 7..

They make a huge difference to usability, trust me. I use one myself and would be back with Windows 7 were it not for Start8. Now, I have the best of both worlds. I can still get stuff done, and can have a play with the 'other' side now and again..

Re downgrading..

You can only do the Microsoft downgrade rights procedure if your computer was supplied with Windows 8 Pro.

You can't upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and then claim downgrade rights.

eBay is probably the worst place to buy Microsoft Windows ..

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone from Microsoft read this?  Will you all ever realize many of us have been using the Windows User Interface since before some of you Microsofties were born (WIndows 3.0) and we are not going to get use to it in a couple of weeks of pain and frustration.  A supplimental shell to bring back the old interface is your only hope.  I have had several friends return threir WIndows 8 laptop and go buy a Mac saying if they have to learn something new, they'd rather learn something friendly.
Please do something Microsoft, help, I bought a new Windows 8 laptop and have been afraid to open the box, yes it is still sealed.  I dont want a new experience of a UI, I just want to get the work done using the interface I am familiar with. m Playing the game :Adventure" was fun in the old days, but now I just want to use something I know how to work and you at Microsoft have replaced that with a new confusing adventure game with secret placed to touch to bring up menus called Windows 8

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone from Microsoft read this?  Will you all ever realize many of us have been using the Windows User Interface since before some of you Microsofties were born (WIndows 3.0) and we are not going to get use to it in a couple of weeks of pain and frustration.

If you've been using Windows since version 3 then it should have been EASY to adapt. How did you cope with the change from 3 to 95? That was as steep a learning curve as Windows 8.

I've also been using Windows since 3.0. I bought a new laptop last week with Windows 8 and within ONE DAY I was doing everything exactly as I did in Windows 7.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have given you a way to experience the old Windows look, so now you can open the box. You can now also tell all of your friends that they made a mistake by returning their Windows 8 laptops.

If Windows 8 had been a 'touch' only operating system, I would agree with all of your sentiments, BUT it isn't. It has a desktop which can be accessed from a tile or a 3rd party start menu.

The great thing about the Windows 8 alternative start menus is that you can choose your interface. If you want to play with the tiles, you can. If you want to stay in the desktop mode for a while, you can.

The worst aspects of Windows 8 presently are reliability of the new interface, and some apps are not maybe as useful as their desktop counterparts. Microsoft should have kept the Windows 8 Start tile visible at all times and provided a more visible way to shut down apps, maybe the tradition 'X' in the top right corner. 

Apple are so confident that MacOS is easy that they offer a $90 training session, and you can book more if needed. If needed? The rumoured 'so easy to use' OS requires training sessions?

Are you still going to do what your friends have done and buy a Mac? Apple need you to buy a Mac because iMac sales are losing out to the iPhone and iPad.

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Sorry this didn't help.

windows 8 sucks
ill tell you this is the biggest pile of **** i have ever seen, i though window vista was crappy. this windows 8 pro is the worse of the worse, but you all at micro soft have out done your self's in the crappy build of this program windows 8. after installing it it took your tech's 5 days and close to 60 hours just to fix it so i could log in to my computer, in the end it cost me close to 200 dollars, the lose of my journal i worked on for 4 yrs. all the over 7000 pictures i had saved on my computer and re-mote hard drive, because you all took that with out permission to crash my system and do a full re-install with out even asking me. you would call me at 8 am every day to try and fix this F!@# up windows 8 pro. now i want my windows 7 utma back and you tell me ill have to pay for it to install it. F#$% you all. i can see from your crappy ways of doing business. why microsoft is dieing in the eyes of its people here . give them back windows XP,m give me back my windows 7 utm media addition. what **** is it when we pay for this **** that you fell the right to rip us a new azzhole and do as you please.I AM TOLD TO CALL SUPPORT, YA RIGHT LIKE YOU CAN FIX THE ISSUES WITH IT YOU CAN'T ANOTHER PIECE OF JUNK MADE AND PROMOTED BY MICRO SOFT AGAIN. NO WONDER YOU GAVE IT AWAY AT SUCH A GOOD DEAL. { AS IS SAID} ; I IT SOUND TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, AND IF FROM MICRO SOFT YOU ARE REALLY f%^ED TO BELIEVE IN THEM AND INSTALL IT } FIX IT GIVE THE PEOPLE THAT YOU SO SAY YOU RESPECT AS CLIENTS THERE WINDOWS XP, WINDOWS 7, OR WHAT EVER IT IS BACK. I WANT MY WHOLE SYSTEM OF WINDOWS 7 ULT MA MEDINA RETURNED TO ME THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE YOU CRASHED AND RE-INSTALL THIS ****, TAKING IT OFF MY HARD DRIVE SO IT COULD NEVER BE RE-INSTALLED. AND I WANT IT NOW ....

Sorry this didn't help.

Bought new PC for my wife at Xmas . have used every version of windows since 3.1 and this one is the worst. I have spent hours figuring this thing out.  To integrated with everything. No control. Skype suck with this interface. About to cancel my Skype account. Been paying for years for that and now no control I thought Vista was bad.  Is there any hope of rolling this PC to a windows 7? Do I need to take this back to Costco and then go buy a used performance PC with 7 of e-bay to get a decent experience?

You are likely using the Metro version of Skype. The Metro apps seem to have limited functionality relative to the desktop versions.

If I were you..... go to desktop and open up whatever web browser you use, search for and download the desktop version of Skype. It will be exactly the same as it is in Windows 7 and you should be familiar with how it is laid out.

I think that the Metro apps, more for use on a tablet, are still a work in progress. The Mail app for instance, just recently got an update that added a lot of functionality. It used to be quite bad, but now is very nice to use. Plus they just plain take some getting used to. Because Metro apps are from Microsoft, people expect that they will work almost exactly like their desktop counterpart, but they are very different.

I think that most people who are having trouble with Windows 8 are trying to use the new Metro apps on their non-tablet device. If in doubt, go to desktop and download the program of your choice to do whatever it is that you want.

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone from Microsoft read this?  Will you all ever realize many of us have been using the Windows User Interface since before some of you Microsofties were born (WIndows 3.0) and we are not going to get use to it in a couple of weeks of pain and frustration.

If you've been using Windows since version 3 then it should have been EASY to adapt. How did you cope with the change from 3 to 95? That was as steep a learning curve as Windows 8.

I've also been using Windows since 3.0. I bought a new laptop last week with Windows 8 and within ONE DAY I was doing everything exactly as I did in Windows 7.

lol? It isnt easy because it gives up so much on the desktop side for the touch pad users. It was a great concept but it doesn't work. Nor will it ever, Windows 8.1 is going to be a complete flop as well. Nothing that is a hybrid will ever work as well as a focused product. Not only is the interface bad...Which I can live with.. But as a gamer I can't play so many of the games I want to due to compatibility issues. For example Dark Souls for PC. . . Which is actually broken because it runs on Microsoft's on program Microsoft Games for Windows. . . Which isnt actually supported by windows 8. Microsoft is going down hill which is why they are losing market share to Apple. Please fire their CEO and get some accountability at Microsoft so they can resume making decent products vs the trash they have been releasing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2019 Views 3,354 Applies to: