Brand new Windows 8 Gateway computer keeps getting BSOD

A relative of mine bought a brand new Gateway computer and she is on vacation. She asked me to set her computer up while she is gone though, every time I get on the computer there are two major problems

BSOD ( Blue Screen Of Death ) :
  • This happened the first time I turned on the computer and was the first thing I saw when I turned it on after the " Gateway " Screen
  • Happens within ten minutes of turning the computer on
  • States it is due to " MEMORY_MANAGEMENT "
  • When I try to turn on the computer afterwards, it seems the computer is on but the screen is completely black

Wi Fi
  • When I was able to get to the  settings for the Wi Fi connection, the option to turn it on is always grayed out

Info About the Computer

Windows 8
Gateway Nv52L15u
4 GB DDR3 Memory 
AMD Quadcore Processer
500 GB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 76406 with 512 MB Graphics System Memory

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 9,599 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You really should have waited for the battery to be fully charged before proceeding (I know, hindsight is 20-20 :-)  ). That may be where the problems started, for sure. But you should be able to recover without too much aggravation.

According to the manual, when you first turn it on, press the ALT and the F10 keys at the same time to bring up the Recovery Options menu.
Go to this link <http://support.gateway.com/product/?cmpid=supportnav> , Select Notebook, NV Series, NV52L, then click Confirm. Click on the User Guides tab, and download the first Quick Start Guide (3.8Mb). Extract it and look at the bottom of page 16.

"Recovering from the hard drive during startup:

To reinstall Windows and all pre-installed software and drivers:
1. Turn  on  your  computer,  then  press  Alt+F10  during  startup. Gateway Recovery Management opens.
2. Click on Restore system from factory default.
Caution: Continuing the process will erase all files on your hard
drive.
3. Click  on  Next.  Your  hard  drive’s  original,  factory-loaded contents  are recovered. This process will take several minutes."

That should bring it back to day one so you can start over.

If it boots up into Win8, but is still causing you problems, you can also recover from within Windows, too (if enough of the initial installation completed). Also from the manual, page 16:
"Recovering from within Windows:

To reinstall Windows and all pre-installed software and drivers:
1. Click on Start  > All Programs > Gateway, then click on Gateway Recovery Management. Gateway Recovery Management opens.
2. Click on the Restore tab, then Restore system to factory default. The Confirm Restoration dialog box opens.
3. Click  on  Yes,  then  Start.  A  dialog  box  displays  information about  the hard drive that the operating system will be recovered to.
Caution: Continuing the process will erase all files on your hard drive.
4. Click on OK. The recovery process begins by restarting your computer, then  continues  by  copying  files  to  your  hard  drive.  This  process may take a while, but a Gateway Recovery Management screen shows you its progress.
When the recovery has finished, a dialog box prompts you to restart your computer.
5. Click on OK. Your computer restarts.
6. Follow the on-screen prompts for first-time system setup."

(Slightly different for Windows 8. This is from the Quick Start Guide (Windows 8). You might want to download it, too. ):
"Recovering from Windows
Start Gateway Recovery Management:
•   From   Start,   type   'Recovery'   and   then   click   Gateway Recovery Management in the list of apps.
Two options are available, Restore Factory Settings (Reset my PC) or Customized Restore (Refresh my PC).

Restore  Factory  Settings  deletes  everything  on  your  hard  drive, then reinstalls Windows and all software and drivers that were pre-installed on your  system.  If  you  can  access  important  files  on  your  hard drive,  back them up now. See "Restore Factory Settings with Gateway Recovery Management" on page 20.

Customized Restore will attempt to retain your files (user data) but will reinstall all software and drivers. Software installed since you purchased your  PC  will  be  removed  (except  software  installed  from  the Windows Store).    See    "Customized    Restore    with    Gateway Recovery Management" on page 21."

Unless you are still getting the Memory Management error, we won't worry about the RAM right now.

SC Tom

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.