blue screen with error 9086. What is this and how do I get rid of it?

I paid for and downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft web store on January 26 & 27th 2013 for four computers.   I frequently have my work interruped by a blue screen with the error 9086.   What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2019 Views 540 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums. We are glad to assist you with your Windows related issues.

As per the given issue description, it seems that you are getting the blue screen error on your Windows 8 computer with an error code: 9086. I would like to ask a few questions regarding this issue.

1.       Does this happen on all 4 computer on which you have installed Windows 8?

2.       When exactly does this error occur? Is it when you open or work on any particular application or device?

3.       Do you have any third party security program installed on your computer?

4.       How did you install Windows 8 on the computer(s) having this issue? Was it a clean install or an upgrade?

5.       Have you made any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

6.       Did you install all the latest Windows 8 drivers on your computer for all the devices connected to it?

This blue screen error seems to mostly happen when there are some driver issues in the computer. However, it might also be due to some other software/hardware reasons. I would suggest you to send us the Minidump files so that it becomes easier to identify the root cause of this issue.

But, before moving to the steps on how to collect the Minidump files, please make sure that Minidumps are enabled on the computer. You may follow these steps for the same:

Step 1: To ensure Mini dumps are enabled:

a)       Go to Start Screen of your computer and type “sysdm.cpl” and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

b)       Under the “Advanced” tab, click on the “Startup and Recovery Settings” button.

c)       Ensure that “Automatically Restart” is unchecked.

d)       Under the “Write Debugging Information” header select “Small memory dump (256 KB)” from the dropdown menu (the 256kb may varies).

e)       Ensure that the “Small Dump Directory” is listed as "%systemroot%\Minidump".

f)        Click on “OK”.

g)       Reboot the computer.

Step 2: Collecting the Mini dump files from the computer

Please follow the steps to copy the contents of minidump files:

a)       Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.

b)       Zip up the copy.

c)       Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.

d)       Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive and put a link to them in your reply.

You can refer to the link to know how to send us the mini dump files using Skydrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Please do reply with all the information. We will be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1.   This happens on only one of the four computers which I installed Windows 8 on.

2.   It appears to happen frequently when I leave the computer on too long, when I'm in AOL, or other various times.

3.  I have Norton Utilities Internet Security 2013 and Advanced SystemsCare v6 on the computer.

4.  This install was a Microsoft Windows web site download upgrade installation.

5.   This issue started as soon as I installed Windows 8.

6.  As far as I know I have installed all new drivers that have been available.

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not find a place to type in 'sysdm.cpl' on the front Start screen in Windows 8.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for replying with all the additional information.

In order to open the System Properties, you just need to type “sysdm.cpl” (without the quotation mark) from the Start Screen.

Let me give you a brief idea about searching for an app from the Start Screen of the Windows 8. When you are on the “Start Screen” of Windows 8, you need not use any “search” options. You just need to type the name of the App from the Start Screen of the computer and it will show the result on the left pane of the screen. (In some cases, it may not show the result unless and until you type the complete name of the App). For example, start typing “Control” from the Start Screen and you will be able to see “Control Panel” on the left hand side of the screen as the result. Also please note that, this is not applicable when you are searching for any settings or files in the computer. This is applicable only when you are searching for any app or program on the computer. If you want to search for any program settings or files in the computer, then you need to use the “Search” option from the Charms bar and then select “Settings” or “Files” on the search pane. You may also use the keyboard shortcuts for directly displaying the “Settings” search bar or the “Files” search bar. The keyboard shortcuts for these are: “Windows Logo” + “W” and “Windows Logo” + “F” respectively.

So, I would request you to just type “sysdm.cpl” from the Start Screen of Windows and you can see the search result on the left hand side of the screen and then proceed with the steps from the previous post.

Hope this information helps you. If you need any further assistance or information regarding Windows, please feel free to get back to us. We’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Sorry this didn't help.

Clever.   I have the minidump directory setup, but there does not appear to be anything in it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I just got the blue screen again with error 9086 again.   I have a mini dump of only 128k.   I'm not sure that I have a zip program, nor do I know how to use Skydrive.    I'm sure I have to have an address to send to.    I could possibly send it via AOL email.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to locate Microsoft SkyDrive but was unable to upload the 128k file.   I don't think I have a zip facility.     I am signed into Windows 8 as the owner but the SkyDrive upload keeps asking me to resign in as owner or administrator.

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally figured out that I might be able to move copies of the files into SkyDrive but I keep getting this message - "Sorry, Skydrive can't upload folders or empty files."

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, I have multiple minidumps.   I need a way to get these to the right person.  I have tried your SkyDrive but it won't let me because it will not "upload folders or empty files".   The file size for the minidumps range from 128k to 139k so there is something in the files.   If I could get an email address to send these to I can send them to the email address.   I am getting extremely flustrated with this Microsoft Community setup.  Particularly with no answers or help forthcoming.    I am now having trouble with this computer not booting up properly.   Fortunately, I created a repair disc that has been helping with that problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you zip the mini dump folder into a single compressed file? If yes, how did you zip the Mini Dump folder?

How are you trying to upload to Sky Drive?

Are you trying to upload the zipped mini dump folder in your SkyDrive account using the browser or are you using the SkyDrive app?

If you are using the browser, then which browser are you using?

You may check this link for the details of the issues with Sky Drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/upload-file-cant-faq

Also try these thread links:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/skydrive-files/i-cant-upload-files-to-my-skydrive/91247cf3-940a-44ad-af16-d976fe5fd2be?msgId=447fba91-1432-4f28-9cca-a3836e6fe885

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/skydrive-files/sorry-skydrive-cant-upload-folders-or-empty-files/ff152c2b-be4a-4c79-8bce-8169d5c23304?msgId=e48097e1-48c9-44d4-892c-b02cb5735f9e

Sorry this didn't help.