basic render driver vs graphics card render

hi all,

how do I check which is being used on my computer?

I have a gtx770 graphics card installed on windows 8, and for some reason it crashes my computer when graphics get too intensive. I was told that the problem may be the result of my windows 8 basic render driver update conflicting with my graphics card driver. I am a tech handicap, so please go easy!!

cheers,

josh

Hi Josh,

1. What is the error you get when the computer crashes?

2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

3. Where did you get to know that “the problem may be the result of my windows 8 basic render driver update conflicting with my graphics card driver”?

4. Have you performed any troubleshooting step on the computer?

Event Viewer is a tool that displays detailed information about significant events (for example, programs that don't start as expected or updates that are downloaded automatically) on the computer. Event Viewer can be helpful when troubleshooting problems and errors with Windows and other programs.

Check in Event Viewer for exact error code and the cause of the issue. Follow the steps to open Event viewer:

a. Press Windows Key + X key.

b. Click Event Viewer.

In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application, and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your reply.

Let us try to boot the computer in safe mode and check if the computer crashes.

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hi Srimadhwa,

there is no error log in event viewer. the events are as follows:

1st day of purchase: Kmode_Exception Not handled. I brought the laptop back to Asus dealership and they said it was a RAM issue. They changed the RAM

2nd day: I tried to install a graphics intensive software and was getting a major slowdown on my CPU ( to the point where I have to pull the power on the laptop as it crawls to a standstill) without crashing outright). I sent out my system details to the developer and was told my Graphics Card Render Driver GTX770 did not have a driver version - which is odd. He also told me to check if my computer was using Microsoft 8 render driver or the Nvidia GTX render driver.

As a result I wanted to find out which I was using before taking it back to the dealer again. Also, I only have a limited window of 7 days for a full refund, hence my urgency in checking if this is merely the result of a driver selection, and if this can be easily solved.

Hope this explains things abit more clearly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Josh,

1. Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

2. Expand Display Adapters and check if you find “Nvidia GTX render driver” and “Windows 8 basic render driver”.

3. If you find “Windows 8 basic render driver”, then you may right click on this driver, select disable and restart the computer to check the status.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2019 Views 2,990 Applies to: