APPS not working on WINDOWS 8 computer after File Sharing

I am not sure where to start here. But...here are the problems in a nutshell...yes, I have many... but actually three main ones.

BACKGROUND INFO: I have 3 PC's all shared, password protected, (running XP, 7 and now 8) in my home and want to access these computers with each other. Also, other users (2) in my home network, each with their own computers, and each having their own logon ID's and passwords.

PROBLEM 1: (This one is least important to me) I want to access my computers using using my logon name and password. I would like to have one user name for all computers (ie: ewolfe), which I have on all other computers.. but when I bought a new computer running Windows 8 and while first setting it up, I put my first real first name in it (Edward), thinking it was going to just register my Windows 8 copy with Microsoft. It wasn't until after the computer finally came on, that I realized that it is now my logon name. So I tried to change it, but is doesn't really change. When I connect to the Windows 8 machine, even though I have changed it and it shows it on the START screen in the upper left hand corner, it shows the user name as Edward. Is there anyway to do change it so I can login on the other computers using the ewolfe? Again, this one is just a minor problem and can deal with it, if I can't change it or its just to hard to accomplish it.

NOW FOR THE TWO PROBLEMS THAT MUST BE FIXED!

PROBLEM 2: DUAL MONITOR SOMETIMES NOT WORKING: As I said, I have 3 computers. They are using a KVM switch sharing one keyboard, mouse and monitors . The Windows 7 and 8 are using dual monitors Since I can't have dual monitors to both the Windows 7 and 8 machines (only 1 extra port for 2nd monitor), I bought another monitor so I can have dual monitors on the new Windows 8 machine (1=Westinghouse -L2046NV connects: VGA adapter, 2=HP W2072a Backlit monitors, connects DVI), in other words I have 3 monitors, 1 dual for Windows 7 and a different dual monitor running the new 8. All computers share the center monitor. But sometimes, and I can't really figure out what makes this happen, when I reboot the new Windows 8 computer, the HP W2072a goes to sleep, and the L2046NV that is connected to the other machines ONLY shows my mouse arrow. in order for me to see the screen. I have the I have to pull out the connection to the HP W2072a, once I do the I can see the sign on screen, and then connect the new monitor back up. I went into the BIO of the new computer and thought I fixed it but it still does it sometimes.

PROBLEM 3: APPS NOT WORKING: The apps on the START screen do not work. They appear like they are going to start, I get the app logo on the screen, but then immediately goes back to the START screen. They worked when I first set the computer up, but when I went into the setting for file sharing to share this computer and requiring a user name and password...the apps stopped working. The only app that will work is the Desktop app. I have tried to reset the computer back to default using the "REMOVE EVERYTHING AND REINSTALL WINDOWS" options. When the computer comes back, they all work again, but when I try to inable the network sharing, they stop again. I have accomplished file sharing, with permissons, on all other computers without a problem and in fact, have accomplished it on the Windows 8 machine, but the apps are not working now . And I am done trying to do it myself. I need help.

Let me just say that so far, (had this computer for just a few weeks now) I have never had so many problems setting up a new computer as I have had with WINDOWS 8. I am pretty good with computers, and have worked in the IT department for many years. I really do think that Microsoft made too many changes, to fast but I know I have to deal with it so I will, and will, in time, get used to it. But I can't seem to get these problems resolved enough to even begin to get used to it.

Any suggestions for these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 415 Applies to:

Hi,

Pls Refer the article-

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Pls  Make sure you back up the data on the computer before proceeding further.

Refreshing the Operating System will reinstall all the apps downloaded from the Windows Store. But, the apps installed from other sites will be removed permanently. Proceed at your risk.

Do let us know if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence and provide our customers with the best support.

Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.
I did tried this the first time, which was really just a maybe a week or two after I got the PC with no luck. Then I finally selected the REMOVE EVERYTHING AND RESINSTALL WINDOWS selection built into WIN 8. The first time I did this, I was very careful to try the apps every time I would install or change anything.  The  problem was  resolved, apps were working fine, until I turned on FILE SHARING. Then apps stopped  working again. So I did the "REMOVE AND INSTALL WINDOWS" again, check to see if apps were working after completion, which they were, but did not install anything and  immediately turned on file sharing. Apps stopped working.  Due to the fact that I turned on File Sharing so fast this last time I reinstalled windows and apps stopped working, , I do not have a back date restore to go to that will solve the problem. I don't understand why file sharing will stop the apps from working. As I said, I have several other computers, all with file sharing turned on, with no problems. I do want file sharing on so that it requires a password in order to access any shared files, so I am not sure if that is what causing the problem. These problems I am having with WIN8 is very frustrating. Please know that, since the PC is so new, I really do not have much on it (have been using the WIN7 PC for daily use until problem is resolved) so I have no problem wiping everything clean and starting again. I just don't want to keep making the same mistake while selecting the FILE SHARING option due to the time factor it requires to reinstall windows....(it takes hours).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having the same problem (App related). I have multiple pc's on my network 2 with Vista and 2 with Windows 8. I've been through three installs before coming across this topic. I'm glad to know I'm just not the only one. File sharing seems to be the culprit with me. Like you said, I kept checking after installing each of my devices / software. Not until I got into file sharing did the problem happen. The apps pop on screen for a couple of seconds then just automatically close. They still appear on the left hand side of the screen like they are still open, which I have to manually close.

This needs to get sorted out asap. It is a real headache

Sorry this didn't help.