Always logged on with temporary profile and Can't access User, Windows and Program Files folder in C: Drive

Hey,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forums, i wasn't totally sure what this comes under.

I am currently using Windows 8 and i had a program accessing the internet one time even though it said i was connected where the troubleshooters couldn't find anything wrong and restarting didn't fix it.

So i decided to do a system restore to see if that would resolve my issue. It said everything went okay but when i restarted my computer was always being logged in to a Temporary profile even after multiple restarts. On my local hard drive with the operating system on i found i couldn't access the Users, Windows and Program Files (x86) folders. I have lost all the apps with the only ones remaining are Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. 

I can't access most programs mainly the ones preinstalled with Windows (e.g. IE10, task manger, parts of control panel, torubleshooting, windows update, etc) with an error every time saying "the side by side configuration is incorrect". I've performed multiple disk checks using chkdsk in command prompt in the boot menu which did find many errors mostly in step 4 of 5 but this didn't fix my problem. I also used sfc in command prompt which also found errors but couldn't fix them. 

I'm currently using an administration account. I also have Ubuntu as a dual boot installed from windows which is running fine when i access it.

I've also created another account on my computer but non of the apps in the start menu are showing and again most of the program aren't working.

Please Help,

James

Hay James,

Since you have performed all the steps to fix the issue, since it didn’t fix the issue you can perform system refresh.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Good luck…

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply :)

Do you think theres a way to fix my computer without having to 'refresh' it, i really don't want to lose all my programs and have to install them again.

thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As far as your query is concerned, It seem that you are having a tough time logging to your default account.
I will surely help you with issue. But I still require certain information to get the right resolution:
May I know whether the default account is an Admin account or a standard user account?
I would recommend you to follow the methods below to resolve the issue:
Method 1:
Enable Built Admin account.
a) Press Windows and x key together on your desktop screen.
b) Click on Command Prompt (admin).
c) Type: net user administrator /active: yes
Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done
After enabling Built-in admin, please try with the steps below:
Step 1:
Perform SFC Scan
Please follow the steps to perform SFC Scan:
a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.
b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.
c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.
d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.
Step 2:
Please perform Microsoft Safety Scanner to scan your computer for infections.

To download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner, follow these steps:
a) Go to the Microsoft Safety Scanner site at: Microsoft Safety Scanner
(http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx)
b) Click Download Now.
c) If prompted, click Run. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the Microsoft Safety Scanner. When prompted, add a shortcut to the Microsoft Safety Scanner to your desktop.
d) From your desktop, double click the Microsoft Safety Scanner icon. When the Microsoft Safety Scanner program launches, click Scan Type, then click Full Scan, then click Next.
e) After the scan is complete, remove all detected malware entries

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

For more information refer:

Microsoft resources and guidance for removal of malware and viruses (Microsoft Safety Scanner).

Step 3:
Please restart your PC and check if you are able to log in to your Default Profile.
Method 2:
From Built in administrator account create a new user account and transfer the profile data.
Please follow the steps below to do that:

a) Press Windows and x together and select Windows Explorer.
b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.
c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.
f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
•Ntuser.dat
•Ntuser.dat.log
•Ntuser.ini
h) Right click and Select Copy.
i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
j) Right click inside the folder and select Paste.
k) Restart your PC and check if you are able to log in to default profile.

Please reply us back if the issue still persists.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2022 Views 2,022 Applies to: